^

Headlines

DepEd’s Briones tests negative for COVID

Rainier Allan Ronda - The Philippine Star
DepEd’s Briones tests negative for COVID
Briones, 79, said she had been in home quarantine since April 8 and on isolation since the lockdown began.
Geremy Pintolo / File

MANILA, Philippines — Education Secretary Leonor Briones is among the survivors of the coronavirus disease 2019, happily revealing that the latest test showed she is negative for COVID-19.

“Good news, early this morning, nag-text sa akin si Sec. Duque, na ang resulta ng test ko, sa akin lamang, ay negative (Sec. Duque texted me saying my test result was negative)… This is the first public announcement,” Briones told GMA News, referring to Health Secretary Francisco Duque.

The Department of Education (DepEd) announced last week that the secretary had tested positive for COVID-19.

Briones, 79, said she had been in home quarantine since April 8 and on isolation since the lockdown began.

She said other top DepEd officials also went on quarantine because of their exposure to possible COVID-positive persons.

“Good news ito. Hinihintay pa namin ang resulta sa pamilya ko,” (We’re still waiting for the results of the tests on my family),” Briones said.

Sen. Sonny Angara, who also recovered from his COVID-19 infection, on Sunday donated blood plasma, which reportedly can help patients recover from the disease.

 “Gave my plasma and it went straight to a hospital in Quezon City to a man on a ventilator – a severe case of COVID-19,” his post on Instagram read. “My wonderful doctors say it could save his life as the antibodies of survivors in past viruses have done, but right now there is just an informal network of hospitals speaking and exchanging notes as to the survivors giving their plasma.”

 Angara was found positive for COVID-19 last March 26 and went on home quarantine. He was taken to the emergency room of a hospital in Metro Manila before the end of March and was declared free of the disease last week.

 The Philippine General Hospital earlier called for COVID survivors to donate their blood from which plasma can be extracted for infusion to severely affected patients as part of an experimental treatment for the disease. Similar experimental therapies are reportedly being conducted in China and South Korea. 

Angara said he plans to donate more blood after two weeks since each survivor is only allowed to give plasma every 14 days.

“Please pass on to any survivor – they can save lives as we speak! Please tell any survivors you know. There is no stigma. They can save lives,” he added.

Senate Majority Leader Juan Miguel Zubiri, who also survived COVID, expressed intention to donate plasma.

Sen. Bong Go said Department of Health officials are doing what they can in responding to the COVID-19 crisis despite the challenges and constraints but they should not be complacent until the pandemic is stopped.

“During these times, we must stop blaming each other. What is needed is for us to help each other. Let’s do ‘bayanihan’ because we have only one enemy and that is COVID-19,” Go said. – With Paolo Romero, Mayen Jaymalin, Janvic Mateo

LEONOR BRIONES

  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Latest
abtest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

Get Updated:

Signup for the News Round now

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with