For Health Secretary Francisco Duque III who wants a total ban on firecrackers, there are many aspects that should be considered, particularly the livelihood of workers in the firecracker industry.
STAR/ File
PNP urged to strictly enforce firecracker ban
Sheila Crisostomo (The Philippine Star) - December 28, 2019 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Health (DOH) has called on the Philippine National Police to strictly implement the ban on illegal firecrackers, particularly piccolo which has been the leading cause of injuries among children during the Yuletide season.

In an interview, DOH spokesman Eric Domingo also asked local government units (LGUs) to organize a community fireworks display to minimize the household use of firecrackers in the upcoming New Year revelry.

“I hope we can make sure that these illegal firecrackers are kept out of reach of people, especially the children… We should keep a tight watch against those who will light firecrackers on the street where many injuries take place,” he said.

Domingo added that if piccolo will not be sold anywhere this holiday season, there will be a significant decline in firecracker-related injuries.

According to Domingo, it is best for LGUs to have a fireworks display in the community  “for everybody to enjoy and appreciate.” He said this is much safer than having people lighting firecrackers on their own.

For Health Secretary Francisco Duque III who wants a total ban on firecrackers, there are many aspects that should be considered, particularly the livelihood of workers in the firecracker industry.

Duque added that, for the meantime, making sure that the ban on illegal fireworks is strictly implemented will minimize injures significantly.

The DOH is hoping that this year’s injuries will not exceed last year’s data of 338 cases.

Three more individuals injured from firecrackers were reported, raising the total number to 22 since Dec. 2

Based on a report prepared by the DOH Epidemiology Bureau, two of the injuries were caused by piccolo. The leading cause of injuries are luces and boga which account for four cases each, while kwitis also caused two injuries. Seven of the victims have sustained eye injuries.

The majority of cases came from Calabarzon with four, followed by the Ilocos region with three, and Cagayan Valley and Central Visayas with two cases each. – With Ric Sapnu, Ramon Lazaro, Rhodina Villanueva

DOH ERIC DOMINGO FIRECRACKERS FRANCISCO DUQUE III PNP
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with