Buldozzer level up the garbage at Capas Tarlac Landfill in Capas, Tarlac under the management of Metro Clark Waste Management Corporation which allegedly were the garbage coming from Canada was dumped.
The STAR/Ernie Peñaredondo, File
Canada trash to sail 'sooner than later' — Palace
(Philstar.com) - May 21, 2019 - 5:27pm

MANILA, Philippines — The remaining containers of garbage from Canada will soon sail back to the North American country, Malacañang said Tuesday.

Hundreds of containers of waste were illegally dumped in the Philippines between 2013 and 2014. At least 69 containers are still in the country.

Presidential spokesperson Salvador Panelo said a private shipping company will take the trash back to Canada.

"The [Department of Foreign Affairs] issued a statement that the Canadian government has already directed a shipping company to get the trash back and, according to them, it will be sooner than later," Panelo said in a press briefing.

Last week, Foreign Affairs Secretary Teodoro Locsin Jr. recalled Philippine diplomats after Canada missed the deadline to take back the containers of trash.

"At midnight last night, letters for the recall of our ambassador and consuls to Canada went out. They are expected here in a day or so. Canada missed the May 15 deadline," Locsin tweeted on May 15.

The Philippines' top diplomat said the country will maintain a diminished diplomatic presence in Canada until the garbage issue is resolved.

"When the president speaks as he did to the extent of 'declaring war on Canada' for its garbage here, he is to be taken seriously and not metaphorically; at least I do because I do not think I know better than he does. Some of his officials do," Locsin said in a separate tweet. — Patricia Lourdes Viray

CANADA PHILIPPINES-CANADA TIES
As It Happens
LATEST UPDATE: May 31, 2019 - 9:41am

A private Canadian company shipped more than 100 containers of household waste to Manila in 2013 and 2014 and have since stayed. (Bureau of Customs photo)

May 31, 2019 - 9:41am

Foreign Affairs Secretary Teddy Locsin Jr. tells pulled out envoys in Canada to return to their posts following the repatriation of the 69 containers of trash to the North American country.

"To our recalled posts, get your flights back. Thanks and sorry for the trouble you went through to drive home a point," Locsin says in a tweet.

 

 

May 31, 2019 - 8:07am

The ship M/V Bavaria leaves the Philippines to return to Canada the 69 containers of toxic waste after six years.

The ship tasked to transport the garbage arrived at the Subic Bay Freeport at 2:40 p.m. Thursday.

May 29, 2019 - 7:23pm

Trash from Canada will be shipped back on Thursday, Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra says in a statement to reporters.

Guevarra has been designated officer-in-charge in the absence of President Rodrigo Duterte, who is in Japan for an official visit.

"The cost of reshipment from Manila to Vancouver, estimated at P10 million, will be shouldered by the Canadian government. The container vans will be loaded on vessels owned by three shipping companies," he also says.

May 24, 2019 - 11:16am
Amid tensions over the Canada trash shipped in the Philippines, the EcoWaste Coalition raises its condemnation of the latest attempt to dump garbage into the country, this time mixed plastic waste from Hong Kong, China.
 
"We denounce this latest attempt to bring into the country over 25 tons of mixed plastic waste from Hong Kong amid our nation’s ongoing efforts to send back similar illegal waste shipments from Canada and South Korea," says EcoWaste Coalition National Coordinator Aileen Lucero.
 
EcoWaste joined officials of the Bureau of Customs last Wednesday in inspecting a one 40-foot container van containing 22 sling bags weighing 25,610 kilograms of mixed plastic waste instead of the declared “assorted electronic accessories,” the group says in a release today. 
 
The shipment that came from Hong Kong arrived at the Mindanao Container Terminal in Tagoloan, Misamis Oriental on Jan. 2, 2019 on board SITC Fujian. The cargo was shipped by Hin Yuen Tech. Env. Limited and was consigned to Crowd Win Industrial Limited.
May 24, 2019 - 11:12am
Amid tensions over the Canada trash shipped in the Philippines, the EcoWaste Coalition raises its condemnation of the latest attempt to dump into the country, this time mixed plastic waste from Hong Kong, China.
 
"We denounce this latest attempt to bring into the country over 25 tons of mixed plastic waste from Hong Kong amid our nation’s ongoing efforts to send back similar illegal waste shipments from Canada and South Korea," says EcoWaste Coalition National Coordinator Aileen Lucero.
 
EcoWaste joined officials of the Bureau of Customs last Wednesday in inspecting a one 40-foot container van containing 22 sling bags weighing 25,610 kilograms of mixed plastic waste instead of the declared “assorted electronic accessories,” the group says in a release today. 
 
The shipment that came from Hong Kong arrived at the Mindanao Container Terminal in Tagoloan, Misamis Oriental on Jan. 2, 2019 on board SITC Fujian. The cargo was shipped by Hin Yuen Tech. Env. Limited and was consigned to Crowd Win Industrial Limited.
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with