Data from the DOH Epidemiology Bureau showed that the number of measles cases in Ilocos region, Cagayan Valley, Central Luzon, CALABARZON, MIMAROPA and Bicol region have shown an “increasing trend” as of January 26.
Philstar.com, File
Measles outbreak expanded to other regions
Gaea Katreena Cabico (Philstar.com) - February 7, 2019 - 11:30am

MANILA, Philippines (Update 2, 12:30 p.m.)  — The Department of Health on Thursday expanded the outbreak of the highly-contagious measles to other areas in Luzon, and Central and Eastern Visayas.

“We are expanding the outbreak from Metro Manila to the other regions as cases have increased in the past weeks and to strengthen surveillance of new cases and alert mothers and caregivers to be more vigilant,” Health Secretary Francisco Duque III said in a press briefing.

Data from the DOH Epidemiology Bureau showed that the number of measles cases in Ilocos region, Cagayan Valley, Central Luzon, CALABARZON, MIMAROPA and Bicol region has shown an “increasing trend” as of January 26.

There were 575 cases with nine deaths in CALABARZON and 441 cases with five deaths. Central Luzon had 192 cases with four deaths, Western Visayas had 104 cases with three deaths and Central Visayas had 71 cases and one death. 

There were also 70 cases with no death in MIMAROPA, 64 cases with two deaths in Ilocos region, 60 cases with no death in Northern Mindanao, 54 cases and one death in Eastern Visayas and 43 cases with no death in SOCCSKSARGEN. 

The reported cases of combined measles and rubella in 2018 ballooned to 18,026 in 2018 from only 3,804 in 2017—a 374-percent rise. 

DOH on Wednesday declared a measles outbreak in Metro Manila. 

Measles is a highly-contagious respiratory disease caused by a virus. The disease’s complications include diarrhea, middle ear infection, pneumonia, encephalitis, malnutrition, blindness and may lead to death. 

Its signs and symptoms include cough, runny nose, red eyes, fever and skin rashes lasting for more than three days. 

Duque: Have your kids vaccinated

More than a year after the Dengvaxia controversy that tainted the government’s immunization programs, the anti-dengue vaccine has been discredited and pulled from shelves in the Philippines. But the issue has also cast doubt on other vaccines that could protect individuals from life-threatening diseases. 

Duque reiterated his appeal to parents to have their children vaccinated. 

“Napakahalaga po na 'wag po nating ilito ang isyu ng Dengvaxia sa iba nating bakuna na talagang nakapag-bigay na ng proteksyon sa mahabang panahon, ilang dekada na ang nagdaan,” Duque said. 

Last year, the agency posted vaccine coverage rate of 40 percent, way below the target vaccination rate of 90 percent. 

DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH MEASLES MEASLES OUTBREAK
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with