Resorts World to fully compensate rampage victims
Jess Diaz (The Philippine Star) - June 24, 2017 - 4:00pm

MANILA, Philippines - The board chairman of the company that owns Resorts World Manila (RWM) has promised to fully compensate and help those who died or were injured in the June 2 rampage at the hotel-casino.

Hong Kong national David Chua, who chairs the board of publicly listed Travellers International Hotel Group (TIHG), made the promise on Wednesday in response to concerns raised by Reps. Rodolfo Fariñas of Ilocos Norte and Lucy Gomez of Leyte about the welfare of the rampage victims and the hotel-casino’s 6,000 employees.

Fariñas, who is majority leader, and Gomez, who chairs the committee on tourism, wanted assurance that those affected by the tragedy would be helped to the extent the law allows.

“Filipinos will not profit under grief because that’s against our culture. It’s against our culture to enrich one’s self at the expense of another. Please try to alleviate their sufferings. Do we have that commitment from you, sir?” Fariñas asked Chua.

“Yes, your honor,” Chua said.

“We have already extended immediate financial assistance as soon as the incident has happened. All the injured who were hospitalized have already received their financial assistance… We will continue to engage all the families and also we have already started funding the education of the children that have been left behind by the deceased. Rest assured we will do whatever we can to support them,” Chua added.

RWM president Kingson Sian informed congressmen that the families of 31 of the 37 who died due to suffocation received P1 million each, while the 35 who were hospitalized were given P500,000 each.

He said the families of the remaining fatalities have so far refused help but he and other RWM officers continue to talk to them.

Two of the 37 were Elizabeth Panlilio Gonzales, wife of Rep. Aurelio Gonzales Jr. of Pampanga’s third district, and her sister Consolacion Mijares.

Gomez, meanwhile, thanked Chua for his “compassion” for the victims.

“I really wanted to have your assurance on the record, that this is something Resorts World Manila will see through long after interest on this tragedy has died down,” she added. 

Fariñas also thanked TIHG for investing in the country.

Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Recommended
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with