Police colonel gets P200,000 a week from drug ring
Cecille Suerte Felipe (The Philippine Star) - August 9, 2016 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines - A police colonel is receiving P200,000 a week in protection money from a drug syndicate based in Central Visayas, a self-confessed drug lord told Philippine National Police chief Director General Ronald dela Rosa yesterday.

As more police and local officials with suspected drug links turn themselves in to authorities, more shocking revelations of how drug money had enriched corrupt officials were brought to the attention of Dela Rosa.

On Sunday, Dela Rosa received Franz Sabalones, labeled as a drug lord operating in Cebu and other areas in Central Visayas (Region 7), who admitted taking over control of Cebu’s drug trade after the death of drug kingpin Jeffrey “Jaguar” Diaz during an encounter with police.

Sabalones was among the personalities who surfaced at the Multi-Purpose Hall at Camp Crame in Quezon City after being named by President Duterte as either protector or dealer of illegal drugs.

“Nasabi nya yung payola na binigay, kung magkano napupunta kay COP (chief of police) na ganito. Sinabi nya mga opisyales na involved (He said how much was being given, how much went to COP. He said officials were involved),” said Dela Rosa, quoting Sabalones.

Sabalones could not say whether the police colonel was sharing the grease money with the regional director at that time.

“Baka mapatay ko yung colonel kapag nakita ko (I might kill that colonel if I see him),” Dela Rosa said.

According to Dela Rosa, Sabalones was an underling of Jaguar Diaz, a drug lord based in Cebu.

He said Sabalones decided to end his dealings with Jaguar – for greater profit – and go straight to Peter Co for supply at the New Bilibid Prison.

Dela Rosa said Sabalones managed to expand his illegal drug activities.

He said an SUV with 10 kilos of shabu would travel to Cebu by land and water to minimize risk of detection. Upon reaching Cebu, the SUV would park at the Gaisano Mall where the distribution of illegal drugs would begin.

“He is already at par with Jaguar as far as operations of drug trade in Central Visayas. He is ranked No. 2 – at par because he didn’t have to go to Jaguar,” he noted.

The PNP chief assured the public that all the policemen believed to be involved in illegal drugs have been reassigned to far-flung areas in Mindanao, particularly in Maguindanao.

He said he would have those police officers killed if they go back to dealing in drugs.

Shooting buddy

Dela Rosa also got to meet a shooting buddy who had been linked by Duterte to illegal drugs.

Datu Montawal, Maguindanao Mayor Otto Montawal showed up at Camp Crame to clear his name.

“Best friend tayo, kilala mo ako. Magkasama nga tayo sa shooting,” Montawal told Dela Rosa as he belied accusations that he was into illegal drugs.

“Sabi ni President kahit kaibigan basta nasangkot sa droga dapat magpaliwanag (The President said even friends linked to drugs should do some explaining),” the mayor added.

The PNP chief has assured “due process” for local government executives and police personnel identified by Duterte as having links to illegal drug activities.

Dela Rosa personally received 31 PNP personnel and 27 local officials who appeared at Camp Crame to explain their side.

He said the names of the local officials and policemen announced by Duterte came from an initial list that underwent a validation workshop by the PDEA, PNP, AFP and the intelligence services.

The PNP chief said those who showed up yesterday would undergo documentation and investigation.

The PNP also announced yesterday the launching of “Tsip Bato Ang Bumangga Giba!” Mobile App.

The app was meant to make the anti-crime program more interesting, specially for the youth.

The “Tsip Bato Ang Bumangga Giba!” allows players to catch criminals (in green masks), while avoiding obstacles like pedestrians and other vehicles.

Senior Supt. Gilbert Cruz, chief of the PNP Police Community Relations Group (PCRG), said “Tsip Bato: Ang Bumangga Giba!” was developed by Filipino software firm Ranida Games in cooperation with the PNP.

“It aims to teach kids to say no to illegal drugs,” he added.

Dela Rosa personally played the game during the launch. The app is available at play store for free.

The mobile up was designed to clean the streets of criminals by Tsip Bato and El Presidente Du30!

Ghosts everywhere

In Alaminos City, government peace negotiator Hernani Braganza asked Pangasinan Rep. Jesus Celeste to just explain his being linked to the drug trade by President Duterte.

“Rep. Celeste is seeing ghosts everywhere. Instead of blaming others for his misfortune, he better report to the proper authorities and explain what he knows about the illicit drug trade in the country,” Braganza said in a statement yesterday.

Celeste has blamed Braganza for his being included in Duterte’s list of drug dealers and protectors.

“Rep. Celeste is a master of squid tactics. He always blames politics whenever there is case against him – to divert public attention,” Braganza said.

“He cannot get away with this tactic this time. Politics has nothing to do with the President’s war against drug trafficking. Rep. Celeste should better pick another excuse,” he added.

In Pampanga, two chiefs of police were ordered relieved yesterday for alleged involvement of mayors in the illegal drug trade in their jurisdiction.

Chief Supt. Aaron Aquino, Police Regional Office-3 acting director, said those relieved from their posts were Chief Insp. Gil Domingo, chief of police of Mabalacat, Pampanga; and Supt. Orlando Castil Jr., chief of police of San Rafael, Bulacan.

In Iloilo City, four police chiefs also lost their jobs – not because they were suspected of drug links, but their mayors were.

Supt. Gilbert Gorero, spokesman for Police Regional Office-6, confirmed the relief of Senior Insp. Bonifacio Alabe of Calinog, Iloilo; Chief Insp. Terence Paul Sta. Ana of Carles, Iloilo; Insp. Ma. Theresa Lero of Maasin, Iloilo; and Senior Insp. Christopher Candelario of Hamtic, Antique.

Mayors Jed Patrick Mabilog of Iloilo City, Seigfredo Betita of Carles, Mariano Malones of Maasin and Alex Centena of Calinog were among the alleged narco-politicians tagged by Duterte.

Senior Supt. Remus Zacharias Canieso, Iloilo City police chief, was not included in the list of relieved personnel. “Because he’s just new to the post,” Gorero said.

In Cagayan de Oro City, Chief Supt. Noel Constantino, PNP-10 regional commander, also ordered the relief and disarming of at least three officers under him.

Meanwhile, San Pablo City and Bauan, Batangas mayors turned themselves in to police regional director of Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal and Quezon, Chief Supt. Valfrie Tabian yesterday.  – With Gerry Lee Gorit, Jennifer Rendon, Ed Amoroso, Eva Visperas, Ric Sapnu

Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with