Noy orders intensified operations vs Abu Sayyaf
Aurea Calica (The Philippine Star) - November 21, 2015 - 9:00am

KUALA LUMPUR – President Aquino ordered the Philippine National Police and the Armed Forces of the Philippines to intensify operations against the Abu Sayyaf following the beheading of a Malaysian by the bandit group in Sulu last week.

Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak condemned the killing and urged the Philippine government to take action “against those who have perpetrated this savage and barbaric act and ensure that they are brought to justice.”

Razak said the extremists had sworn allegiance to the Islamic State.

“The Philippines extends its deepest sympathy and condolences to the bereaved family and stands in solidarity with Malaysia and ASEAN in resolutely fighting terrorism,” Presidential Communications Operations Office Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr. said yesterday, referring to Malaysian Bernard Ghen Ted Fen.

Fen, along with Thien Nyuk Fun, were abducted from the Ocean King Seafood Restaurant in Sandakan on May 15 by the Abu Sayyaf.

Thien was released last Nov. 8 after a ransom payment was made for the two hostages. However, the bandits withheld the release of Fen as they demanded P100 million more from the family.

The Abu Sayyaf beheaded Fen after negotiations reportedly failed.

“Malaysia stands ready to provide any help and support that we can and be assured that we stand with you against this new evil that blasphemes against the name of Islam,” Razak said.

The beheading was announced while the Philippines was hosting the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation summit in Manila just before 27th Association of Southeast Asian Nation summit here.

At the opening of the ASEAN summit, Razak said he wanted to begin with the momentous steps the ASEAN would embark on but the terror attacks in Paris, Beirut and Mali along with the bombing of a Russian passenger jet over the Sinai desert in Egypt as well as the beheading of the Malaysian must be addressed.

“We are ever vigilant against a threat that is very real in our region. Local militants and groups, such as the Abu Sayyaf, have sworn allegiance to the so-called Islamic State. It was they who cruelly murdered our countryman, Bernard Fen, on Tuesday,” Razak said.

He said the terrorists must be dealt with the full force of law as he acknowledged that the problem of extremism now would require new solutions.

“There cannot be a person in this hall who has not been shocked and shaken by the sickening disregard for human life and the devastation visited on families and communities. Our countries are in mourning. We all share the grief,” Razak said.

 “Understandably, many will want to fight the so-called Islamic State out of the lands they have stolen from millions of Syrians and Iraqis. But a military solution alone will not be enough to defeat those who seek peace and want to cause war,” he said.

In Manila, the military said the offensives against the Abu Sayyaf will continue.

Armed Forces chief Gen. Hernando Iriberri said the beheading of the Malaysian hostage has not changed their mission to neutralize the Abu Sayyaf and recover all the remaining hostages. With Roel Pareño, Jaime Laude

 

 

ABU SAYYAF ACIRC ARMED FORCES ASIA-PACIFIC ECONOMIC COOPERATION ASSOCIATION OF SOUTHEAST ASIAN NATION BEIRUT AND MALI BERNARD FEN HERNANDO IRIBERRI IN MANILA ISLAMIC STATE RAZAK
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with