Gov't to step up efforts against kidnapping syndicates
Rosalinda L. Orosa (The Philippine Star) - September 4, 2014 - 8:30pm

MANILA, Philippines (Xinhua) - The government said today that it will intensify its crackdown against kidnap-for- ransom groups following the increase in kidnapping cases last month.

Presidential Communications Operations Office Secretary Herminio Coloma, Jr. issued the statement after the Philippine National Police (PNP) reported that kidnap-for-ransom cases rose by 20 percent on year to 38 in August.

Coloma said in a press briefing in Malacanang, the presidential palace, that Philippine authorities would step up their intelligence and surveillance efforts against criminal syndicates.

He revealed that concerned government agencies, representatives of citizens' groups and the Filipino-Chinese community held a meeting on Wednesday to address the problem.

The meeting was organized after the Filipino-Chinese community and other civil society groups had expressed concern over the increase in kidnap-for-ransom in recent months.

Despite the rise in kidnapping cases in August, Coloma made an assurance that the Philippines remains safe especially for foreign investors and that the crime situation was "under control."




 

CASES CHINESE COLOMA FILIPINO-CHINESE GROUPS KIDNAP MALACANANG PHILIPPINE NATIONAL POLICE PRESIDENTIAL COMMUNICATIONS OPERATIONS OFFICE SECRETARY HERMINIO COLOMA RANSOM XINHUA
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with