^

Cebu News

2 dead after eating "buriring" in Daanbantayan

- Deborah Mae C. Fortich and Carissa Mae R. Quillo -

CEBU, Philippines - A fisherman and his son died while two other members of their family are still under observation after they ate puffer fish or “buriring” the other day in Barangay Botigis, Bantayan.

Peter Cordova, 39, was declared dead on arrival at the Bantayan District Hospital while his son died in the same hospital around 2:45 p.m.

According to PO2 Vicente Sanchez, attending physician Dr. Larsen Omolon said Peter Paul Cordova died due to cardio pulmonary arrest.

Eva Cordova, 38, the wife of Peter, and her son Jofer, 18, are still under observation at the hospital but Omolon said they are already in stable condition.

Police said that about 11:30 a.m. last Monday, Peter caught a puffer fish and gave it to his wife to cook for their lunch. 

Two hours after their meal the family complained to their relatives that they were suffering from vomiting and dizziness and were rushed to the hospital.

Sanchez added that the family has eaten “buriring” on many occasions but this was the first time they had an adverse reaction to the fish.

The puffer fish is generally believed to be the second most poisonous vertebrate in the world after the Golden Poison Frog. –/BRP (FREEMAN)

BANTAYAN DISTRICT HOSPITAL

BARANGAY BOTIGIS

DR. LARSEN OMOLON

EVA CORDOVA

GOLDEN POISON FROG

JOFER

OMOLON

PETER CORDOVA

PETER PAUL CORDOVA

SANCHEZ

VICENTE SANCHEZ

  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with