ANGELES CITY, Philippines – A married couple and their teenage daughter were burned beyond recognition in a fire that gutted their two-story house in Barangay Pulong Bulo here before dawn yesterday.
Mayor Edgardo Pamintuan said the fire was the first in this city in the past two years. “It’s a pity because we are observing Fire Prevention Month,” he said.
Chief Inspector Jimmy Suba, fire marshal, identified the fatalities as Leandro Dumalo, 57, his wife Ma. Cristina, 56, and their daughter Claudine Joy, 17.
Suba said investigation seemed to indicate that the fire resulted from faulty wiring on the ground floor, although this angle was not yet conclusive.
Suba said the Dumalos seemed to have been awakened by the fire but were all trapped in the second-floor master’s bedroom which had grilled windows.
Suba said that while the city fire department has been implementing Republic Act 9540 which mandates adequate fire exits in buildings, the law bars firemen from inspecting residences.