Nation ( Leaderboard Top ), pagematch: 1, sectionmatch: 1

More bodies fished out in Cagayan

BAYOMBONG, Nueva Vizcaya, Philippines — Two more bodies of typhoon victims were fished out in northernmost Cagayan province yesterday, bringing the region’s death toll to four with at least seven reportedly still missing.

Cagayan Valley Region 2 police director Chief Superintendent Roberto Damian identified the victims as Carmelita Anguluan, 45; and McDave Calibuso, five; whose banca they were riding, along with three others capsized while crossing a river in Rizal, Cagayan during the onslaught of Typhoon Emong last Friday. 

“Only one among the passengers has not yet been recovered,” said Damian, who also heads the Regional Disaster Coordinating Council, referring to seven-year-old Mac-Mac Anguluan, who, along with five family members from Isabela and a 14-year-old villager from Ambaguio town were still the subject of search efforts in the region.

At least two typhoon death victims, Benjamin Galwan, 30; and Merlyn Antonio, 45; of Ambaguio and Santa Fe town here had been reported earlier.

Provincial police director Senior Superintendent Pedro Danguilan said that the two drowned after they were swept away by strong river current during the height of the typhoon.    

Commuters going to and from Cagayan may still suffer lengthened travel time for at least an hour due to intermittent traffic congestion along the Dalton Pass area, the threshold to the region.

Nation ( Article MRec ), pagematch: 1, sectionmatch: 1
  • Follow Us: