^

Change is coming in CESAFI

Emmanuel B. Villaruel (The Freeman) - August 4, 2016 - 12:00am

Launches Season 16, to punish not only erring players but also coaches   

CEBU, Philippines - The Cebu Schools Athletic Foundation, Inc. formally launched its Season 16 yesterday at the Cebu Country Club with a promise not only of a more exciting showcase of CESAFI's basketball talents but also harsher penalties on those who will violate the rules and regulations set forth by the league.

CESAFI commissioner Felix "Boy" O. Tiukinhoy, Jr. has announced that in the event of bench-clearing incidents and related hardcourt fracas, not only the erring players will be sanctioned but also the coaches to ensure that the core values they enshrined will radiate to all.

"This is just one of the revised rules that we are going to implement for the new season," said Tiukinhoy. "Coaches should act as role models for their teams at all times."

“Also, a foul away from the ball under the final two minutes of the regulation period as well as in the overtime is tantamount to unsportsmanlike foul. Hence, two free throws plus ball possession will be awarded to the aggrieved team,” added the league’s longtime commissioner.

Tiukinhoy's statement somehow mirrors the speech delivered earlier by CESAFI President Rev. Fr. Dionisio Miranda, SVD, egging on the coaches to always set a good example to their players.

"If the coaches keep their cool, the players will also keep their cool," said Miranda. "Give them a perfect example of teamwork, respect and clean sportsmanship and other values and principles that could be of useful to them in the later part of their lives."

The new regulation is warmly welcomed by all coaches concerned.

“I do believe with what Fr. Miranda had said that if we can only act like parents and brothers or sisters to our players, then we don’t have to be afraid of any penalties because if we do that, then there would be no chaos on the hardcourt,” said coach Jun Noel of the University of San Jose-Recoletos Jaguars.

On the other hand, Miranda looks forward with much zest and enthusiasm to another successful season set to kick off with its centerpiece basketball event this Saturday afternoon at the Cebu Coliseum.

“Change is coming for the new government but in the CESAFI, change has come. We are now on a different stage. We hope to project a more dynamic image for the league this season,” said Miranda.

“We also hope we can make it an interesting competition yet in the end we remain as friends.”

Just like last year, the upcoming CESAFI cage wars will be backed up by telecom giant SMART Communications and Viva Sports.

“Smart has been steadfast in supporting sports programs across the country, especially those focusing on the youth and the grassroots level,” said Smart Sports Marketing Senior Manager Epok Quimpo in an official statement. “Competitions like this are a breeding ground for our next wave of athletes, who can bring honor like Gilas Pilipinas. We just need to find these talents and develop them further.”

With regards to the television coverage, Viva President and COO Vincent del Rosario said the games will carried also by Cignal TV and Skycable, thus, providing a much wider nationwide coverage for the league compared to last season.

“We at Viva Sports, in strengthening our partnership with CESAFI, commissioner Boy Tiukinhoy and the distinguished members of the board, look forward to another exciting season and may the best team win. (FREEMAN)

Philstar
  • Latest
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with