Cops probed over failure to arrest captain
Iris Hazel M. Mascardo (The Freeman) - March 26, 2020 - 12:00am

CEBU, Philippines —  Investigation into why policemen from Abellana Police Station failed to arrest Kalunasan, Cebu City barangay captain Nunilon Monares, despite having allegedly violated the liquor ban, is now underway, Cebu City Police Office Director Colonel Hector Grijaldo said.

Grijaldo ordered Abellana Police Station chief, Major Elisandro Quijano, to call the attention of the responding officers for failing Monares who was captured in a video in possession of alcoholic beverages amid the ongoing liquor ban.

As of Wednesday morning, Grijaldo said that they are now in the process of getting statements of the responding officers after it was learned that the incident had not been reported or put on blotter.

“I have already directed the station commander to let his people explain for not doing their job,” Grijaldo said.

He further stated that they will not make an exemption in enforcing the punishment against violators of the law, “not even a barangay captain.”

“Kasi ang very basic, the moment na ang police ay hindi ginawa yung duty niya, there is a public clamor and there is a wrong result. Ibig sabihin, hindi mo ginawa yung trabaho mo, pero kung ginawa mo at that moment, exactly those people were already arrested and the case were already filed. Bakit pa natin pinabayaan ng ilang oras?” Grijaldo said.

He further said that he initially sees negligence on the part of the responding officers and failure to follow specific orders in violation of the police operational manual.

The video that went viral on the social media will stand as evidence against Monares, according to Grijaldo.

Monares had already explained earlier that he did not drink alcohol even if he was attending the birthday party of a friend that night.

Monares also said that he went outside after he was asked to help someone who had been arrested for violating the curfew. He added that as a public servant, he obliged to the request.

Aside from responding officers, Grijaldo said that they are also set to get statements from witnesses and other persons involved that night since their names have also been verified.

“We are still consolidating other facts and information. By today (Wednesday), I will be going to those persons involved kasi nailagay doon kung sinu-sino yung mga pangalan. Tatanungin, we will be asking their statement kasi pag wala silang statement, hindi mabubuo yung kwento,” Grijaldo said. JMD (FREEMAN)

LIQUOR BAN NUNILON MONARES
Philstar
  • Latest
Latest
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with