Cebu News

Family of slain sergeant says: Oberes got threats

The Freeman
Family of slain sergeant says: Oberes got threats

Diana Oberes, wife of slain Air Force sergeant Mark Herbert Oberes, faces the media together with her brother, Bert Padilla (left) and son Kynith. Joy Torrejos


CEBU, Philippines — For the first time since the gruesome death of Air Force sergeant Mark Herbert Oberes, the victim’s family faced the media yesterday and said Oberes received threats before he was killed.

Bert Padilla, the brother of Oberes’ wife, Diana, said suspect Joshua Garciano allegedly threatened Oberes after the latter refused to stop communicating with the other suspect, Resamie Cabañog.

At that time, Cabañog and Oberes were involved romantically, something that Cabañog disclosed after she and Garciano were arrested the other day.

Cabañog and Garciano are now the ones in a relationship.

"Basi sa among nakuha nga information sa ilahang mga conversations, mga chat logs, and SMS exchanges, naa didto makita nato naay personal grudge, naay threat si Kuya Mark gikan kang Joshua," Padilla said.

"Naa mi screenshots-- 'makatilaw lang ka bai' ; gamay ra ang atong kalibutan," Padilla added.

Diana, meanwhile, said her husband did not want to stop communicating with Cabañog because the woman and her mother, Edna, also one of the suspects, allegedly owed Oberes P50,000.

Oberes reportedly lent the money to the Cabañogs in August last year to finance a small eatery Edna opened.

Diana said despite Garciano’s alleged threats, her husband continued to communicate with Cabañog.

Oberes reportedly wrote on Facebook: “Ayaw cge pahaba sa akoa ky ang akoa maningil rako sa 50k. Mahilom rata ani kung mobayad namo diha. Salamat.”

At that time Oberes met with Cabañog and Garciano in Talisay before his death Wednesday night, he reportedly wanted to get his money back.

That was also the time he was seen alive last.

Oberes was mauled, stabbed, and shot at Corazon Village 2 in San Isidro, Talisay City before his body was brought to Barangay Valencia in Carcar City where he was burned inside his own car.


Padilla said his sister knew of Oberes’ and Cabañog’s affair. It reportedly started in July last year and lasted until December.

The Oberes family also belied reports that Oberes had threatened to expose a sex video with Cabañog if she would not get back with him.

"We believe that's a made-up story. It's up to them to provide proof kay basi sa amo na-retrieve nga mga pictures and then sa ilahang exchange, walay mga ingon ana nga mga pictures nga panag-uban, pero walay pictures or videos nga nude or obscene in nature," Padilla said.

Yesterday, Cabañog also clarified that she does not have a sex video with Oberes and she would not have been afraid of such threat.

Diana said Oberes left their house in Lapu-Lapu City at around 6 p.m. last Wednesday. He reportedly told her that he had some work to finish at his office.

"Abi nako iyahang lakaw is mao na to… wala ko idea nga naabot siya didto (sa Talisay)," she said.

She reportedly messaged her husband at past 9 p.m. but to no avail until she received a text from the Talisay Police about what happened in Carcar.

She said Oberes was a good provider and a responsible father.


Last Friday afternoon, the Oberes family filed murder charges against Cabañog and Garciano.

Tomorrow, the police will file charges against Edna, a certain Tommy Isugan, and two unidentified suspects.

Talisay prosecutor Marshal Rubia said it is now up to the judge to decide if Cabañog and Garciano will be used as state witnesses.

The two have claimed innocence and pointed to Edna as the alleged mastermind. It was allegedly Edna who hired Isugan and two unidentified suspects to hurt Oberes. Edna reportedly did not approve of the relationship between Oberes and her daughter.

Cabañog said Edna did not approve of Oberes after learning that he was married. Edna’s ire grew after Oberes allegedly posted photos of Cabañog on social media and said negative things about her.

“Iyang gipang-post akong mga pictures… buot buot himo account; siya ra pud nag comment-comment ingun nga wala ko ni-school. Niingon sad siya, if dili kuno ko mubalik niya, bantay lang kuno ang engr nako… mao iya storya. Wala gatuo si mama nga mabuhat to niya nga makigrelasyon nako. Wala koy utang niya. Tingala ko nganong naghimo siya storya. Tungod sa iyang gipangbuhat nga storya mao naglagot sad akong mama niya,” Cabañog said.

Edna, Isugan, and the two other suspects are at large and are now the subjects of a manhunt operation.

Talisay police chief, Supt. Marlu Conag, said they received fillers that Edna was willing to cooperate with authorities but her relatives reportedly convinced her to stay hiding.

Conag said the last information they received traced the four suspects to Negros Oriental. (FREEMAN)

  • Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

or sign in with