^

Radioman, assistant manager face more libel complaints

Gregg M. Rubio (The Freeman) - August 4, 2016 - 12:00am

CEBU, Philippines - More libel cases were filed by the Korean husband of Cordova Mayor Mary Therese "Teche" Sitoy-Cho against a radio commentator and the assistant manager of station DYRC.

Bong Hwan Cho, also known as Charlie Cho, has filed Tuesday five more counts of libel complaints against broadcaster Rey Cortes and assistant manager Ramil Paican. A total of 18 counts of libel have already been filed before the prosecutor's office.

 Cho, through counsel and father-in-law, Cordova Vice Mayor Adelino Sitoy, has asked Cebu City Prosecutor Liceria Lofranco Rabillas to issue a subpoena duces tecum to Paican to produce and send the station's tape on air (TOA) of Cortes' broadcasts subject of the complaint.

"This request is urgent considering that the preservation thereof will last only for thirty (30) days from the date of broadcast per NTC instruction," Sitoy said.

 Sitoy said his client has been maliciously labeled by Cortes, in conspiracy with Paican, as a suspected drug lord and who allegedly caused the spread and proliferation of illegal drugs in Cordova.

Cho's friends, Vicenta Bayot of Minglanilla town, and Tito Ilagan and Cris Abilay had listened to the station-produced radio program of Cortes on July 25, 26, 27, 28 and 29, 2016 at past 5 p.m. during which they heard Cortes maliciously and unfairly accused the complainant as protector/source of illegal drugs and/or alleged drug lord of Cordova supposedly tolerated by his wife, the newly elected mayor of the town.

 Cortes earlier said there were rumors during the election period about the alleged involvement of Cho in the illegal drug trade in Cordova, prompting him to reopen the issue now that Cho is the town's "first gentleman."

 Cortes said he was just asking the possible involvement of Cho as Cordova's first gentleman in protecting drug pushers and illegal drug trade due to very few operations conducted by the police.

 "Angay ba gyud na ikasuko, nangutana ra man ta isip magbubuhis, mismo taga Cordova nipadangat sa ilang pagduda, kita isip tulay sa mga tawo, ato gipadangat ang maong isyu," Cortes said.

   Cho filed the first four counts on July 12 covering the July 5 to 8 broadcast of Cortes while the other five counts covering the July 11 to 15 were filed on July 19.

 Last week, Cho filed four more counts of libel against Cortes. (FREEMAN)

Philstar
  • Latest
Latest
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with