Nationwide manhunt set vs shooting suspects
Bryner L. Diaz and Mylen Manto/NSA (The Freeman) - February 26, 2015 - 12:00am

CEBU, Philippines - The police will launch a nationwide manhunt for the remaining suspects in last Friday’s shooting incident in Talisay City.

This after PNP officer-in-charge Deputy Director General Leonardo Espina issued a direct order to Police Regional Office-7 director Prudencio Tom Bañas to immediately arrest the suspects who escaped after shooting to death a German national and injuring two other foreigners.

Bañas said the escaping suspects are now being pursued and should they have managed to leave Cebu, a manhunt operation nationwide will be conducted to capture them.

Bañas stressed that crimes involving foreigners do not only have local but also “international repercussions.”

Last Friday, a group of four to six men arrived at McDonalds Tabunok Branch in Talisay City and shot and killed Heinrich Haffner and injured Frenchman Julian Maillard and Indian national Cheten Sapariya.

Three of the suspects have been arrested.

Bañas said he is happy so far with the investigation being conducted by Talisay City Police Station with the help of the Regional Special Operations Group and Criminal Investigation and Detection Group-7.

Following the filing of the murder and frustrated murder charges against the three arrested suspects, Bañas said they are now waiting for the court to issue a commitment order for the suspects’ detention.

According to Bañas, incidents like the Talisay City shooting could not be totally prevented by the police just like in any other countries.

“We cannot discount those incidents from happening. Hindi natin totally ma-prevent. Kahit sa kanila nangyayari mga insidente, may mga nasisiraan ang ulo,” he said.

The PRO-7 director added that the incident could have been avoided if the three persons whom the foreigners had an argument with were sensitive enough against racial discrimination.

“Supposedly, we should all be sensitive to those kinds of issues, racial discrimination or racial slur,” he said.

He also appealed to the community to coordinate with the police if they have information regarding the case.

Meanwhile, Regional Trial Court Judge Alejandro Bahonsua Jr. of Branch 46 in Larena, Siquijor has recommended P24,000 bail for the temporary liberty of Maillard, who was later arrested for violation of Republic Ac 9262, otherwise known as Violence against Women and their Children.

Talisay City Police Station chief Superintendent Reycel Carmelo Dayon said Maillard told them that he will post bail for the case.

Likewise, Dayon said the cases for murder and frustrated murder filed against arrested suspects Ricci Edwin Ramirez Jr., Allano Velos, and Roger Cal at the Talisay City Prosecutor’s Office are set to be filed today before the court.

During the inquest proceeding last Tuesday, the three chose not to undergo preliminary investigation to answer the accusations filed against them. — (FREEMAN)

ALLANO VELOS CHETEN SAPARIYA DEPUTY DIRECTOR GENERAL LEONARDO ESPINA FRENCHMAN JULIAN MAILLARD AND INDIAN HEINRICH HAFFNER LAST FRIDAY MAILLARD TALISAY CITY TALISAY CITY POLICE STATION
  • Latest
Latest
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with