As cebu braces for Ruby no classes today, tomorrow
AJ de la Torre, Kristine B. Quintas (The Freeman) - December 5, 2014 - 12:00am

CEBU, Philippines - There are no classes in all levels in public and private schools today and tomorrow in anticipation of typhoon Ruby, which entered the Philippine Area of Responsibility yesterday.

Cebu Governor Hilario Davide III declared the suspension of classes in the whole province during an emergency full council meeting of the Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council, which Capitol department heads, mayors, and other Cebu local government units’ officials attended.

Representatives of government agencies and utility companies, which would play a crucial role in the preparation for the typhoon and in its aftermath, were also in attendance.

“We would like to believe, all that are here, the national agencies, local government offices, andam na kita sa laing typhoon nga muduaw nato,” Davide said.

During the meeting, the different Capitol departments were made to report on the status of their preparations for the typhoon.

In Cebu City, Mayor Michael Rama likewise issued a similar order, saying everyone has to prepare and be vigilant.

“Further announcements will be done on either Saturday afternoon or (in the) evening as we…monitor our weather,” he said.

Department of Education-7 Cebu Provincial Superintendent Arden Monisit said that with the suspension of classes, LGUs can now use schools as evacuation centers.

“I would suggest that you coordinate directly sa atong school principals kay dunay mga classrooms diha na, labi ng mga bag-o, mga typhoon resistant na,” said Monisit.

He said they have labeled the classrooms which are typhoon-resilient so that the old classrooms would not be used as evacuations centers anymore to minimize the risk.

PDRRMC Chief Baltazar Tribunalo Jr. said they had been meeting and communicating regularly with the DRRM heads of the Cebu towns and cities as well as of the barangays, and have been following up on the preparations they carried out in their respective jurisdictions.

Tribunalo said they have stressed to the localities the importance of preemptive evacuations.

“Walay search and rescue kinahanglang mahitabo ug tanan naa na daan sa luwas nga lugar. Preemptive evacuation must be given importance,” he said.

Mayor Augusto Corro of Daanbantayan, which was one of the most affected towns during the typhoon Yolanda last year, assured they have been regularly meeting with local officials and that preemptive evacuations were already made, especially of those living in the coastal communities.

Corro said that based on their experience last year, one of the main concerns to address is communication since most of the power and communication lines were down after Yolanda wreaked havoc November last year.

He expressed to the provincial government the importance of having satellite phones, which would be very useful to the LGUs.

Davide, however, said they still do not have the facility since the company that presented to the provincial government their satellite phones still does not have enough units.

He said that right after Yolanda hit Cebu, they sought to purchase satellite phones. Davide said he assured that they will continue to work on the request.

Rama, meanwhile, said residents in the coastal barangays of the city would be evacuated to safer grounds today as the sea level is expected to rise as high as around two meters. 

The city’s disaster council has identified Don Carlos Gothong Memorial High School as evacuation center for those from Barangay Pasil; San Nicolas Elementary School, Gothong HS and Sports Institute in Barangay Ermita for those from Barangays Suba, Duljo Fatima and Sawang Calero.

Mambaling Sports Complex for residents of the barangay; Basak Community, Basak Pardo Gym, and Don Vicente Rama ES and HS for those from Barangays Basak San Nicolas and Poblacion Pardo; Pardo ES for Cogon Pardo residents; and Inayawan ES for the barangay’s residents. (FREEMAN)

 

BARANGAY ERMITA BARANGAY PASIL BARANGAYS BASAK SAN NICOLAS AND POBLACION PARDO BARANGAYS SUBA BASAK COMMUNITY BASAK PARDO GYM CEBU CEBU GOVERNOR HILARIO DAVIDE CEBU PROVINCIAL SUPERINTENDENT ARDEN MONISIT YOLANDA
  • Latest
Latest
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with