_freeman
^

Cebu News

Case filed against cop’s “killer”

Niña S. Abenoja and Mylen P. Manto - The Freeman

CEBU, Philippines - The Cebu City police filed a criminal complaint before the Cebu City Prosecutor’s Office yesterday against one of the two men who allegedly killed PO2 Gerlito Estremos.

PO1 Michael Angelo Singson of the Homicide Section  of the Cebu City Police Office filed the complaint for murder against Ian Canseco, 34, a resident of Sambag 2, Cebu City.

Last Thursday, Judge Samuel Malazarte of Regional Trial Court Branch 15 issued a commitment order against the respondent, who was also charged with possession of illegal drugs.

The respondent was arrested last Monday night in Barangay Kamagayan, Cebu City by virtue of a warrant of arrest for illegal drugs. Based on the reports, the respondent was identified by the witnesses as one, who mauled and killed the victim last June 8 at 2:40 a.m.

Elmera Estremos, the wife of the victim told the media that she was happy with the filing of case. Now she wants to know why they killed her husband.

James Flores, the second suspect in the case, was killed in a shootout with policemen in Barangay Tisa last Wednesday night.

Last Sunday, the victim was conducting a roving patrol while searching for two men on a motorcycle who stole his helmet when he encountered the suspects at corner P. Del Rosario and Junquera streets.

Based on report, it was believed that the victim confronted the suspects for not wearing a helmet, prompting one of the suspects to maul and shoot the victim.

Meanwhile, the City Intelligence Branch welcomed the charges set to be filed against them by the family of Flores.

 â€œGirespeto nato ‘na. Normal na man ‘na sa among serbisyo,” said CIB chief Romeo Santander.

He said the charges won’t demoralize CIB and the police as a whole since responding policemen Insp. Keith Allen Andaya and PO3 David Najara Jr. only did the right thing to do under the circumstances.

Andaya said that they only acted in self-defense and to protect the residents in the area when Flores, 27, allegedly shot at them even before they introduced themselves as law enforcers.

Flores reportedly served as the driver of Canseco.

In another development, Santander said they have already recovered the motorcycle the two used in the incident.

After getting a tip from an informant, Santander said they proceeded to Barangay Talamban and recovered the motorcycle outside an abandoned house last Thursday afternoon. The motorcycle had already been stripped of saleable parts.

CCPO is further investigating Estremos’ killing since they received information that there was a third suspect.  (FREEMAN)

BARANGAY KAMAGAYAN BARANGAY TALAMBAN BARANGAY TISA CEBU CITY CEBU CITY POLICE OFFICE CEBU CITY PROSECUTOR CITY INTELLIGENCE BRANCH DAVID NAJARA JR. DEL ROSARIO AND JUNQUERA ELMERA ESTREMOS
  • Latest
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with