^

10 Dangerous Toys

MOMMY ON BOARD - Kristalle Garcia-Kekert (The Freeman) - October 6, 2014 - 12:00am

We sometimes might even wonder why these products have gotten into the market in the first place, when every parent's main concern is the safety of their young children. It is really necessary to think thoroughly first before buying any toy, especially for very young children; the thing may just put the child at risk.

We sometimes might even wonder why these products have gotten into the market in the first place, when every parent's main concern is the safety of their young children. It is really necessary to think thoroughly first before buying any toy, especially for very young children; the thing may just put the child at risk.

Aqua Dots

Small, colorful and attractive tiny beads that children can use to make and create into different designs that permanently set with a sprinkle of water, which activates the glue to connect them all together. In 2007, reports have been made of children vomiting and lapsing into comas due to accidentally swallowing the beads. It was found that the glue contained chemicals that metabolised into gamma-hydroxybutyrate also known as GHB (the date-rape drug). After blaming Chinese subcontractors, all 4.2 million of these kits have been recalled.

Austin Magic Pistol

Guns and any other form of weapons should be banned in the first place, just like this "special" toy gun that has a gas-powered combustion using its "magic crystals" made from a hazardous material called calcium carbide. When mixed with water, these crystals would explode and fire out a plastic ball at 70 feet or more!

Cabbage Patch Dolls (Snacktime Version)

This particular edition doll is equipped with mechanical jaws for children to feed the doll its accompanying snacks. But without an on-off switch to this doll (only when the battery dies out or if removed completely), it'll just keep on running when you "feed" it. Young curious children have been reported to stick their fingers inside the doll's mouth instead of giving the doll its actual plastic food. One little girl had been left partly bald to the dolls chewing mechanism, which kept chewing her hair up to the scalp!

CSI Fingerprint Examination Kit

This product was based on the hit show "CSI" when in 2007, this kit allowed children to look for fingerprints with a special powder and brushes, up until the powder turned out to contain up to five percent asbestos. Makers of this product were hoping for this item to still be up on the shelves for Christmas until a recall would be made, but the Asbestos Disease Awareness Organization filed a civil action to stop the sales of this examination kit before the holiday season.

Easy Bake Oven

A recipe for disaster, why sell this so-called easy bake oven product for children that actually runs and reach temperatures of up to 200 degree Celsius? The company was forced to recall all their items when it was found that a design flaw allowed the oven to easily trap and burn the child's fingers! As reported, one unlucky five-year old girl had to undergo a partial finger amputation.

Hannah Montana Pop Star Card Game

Lead is the second most deadly household toxin in existence, after arsenic. It was shocking when this item was found to contain lead that was 3,000 parts per million (when the recommended amount is 40 parts per million). This item however, stayed on the shelves when the lead was found only on its vinyl, not in the paint.

Inflatable Baby/Toddler Boats

Just when we all thought that inflatable boats were a fun and safer way for young children to float in the pool, up until leg straps are prone to tear (due to tightness), which can cause the child to end up slipping through. In 2009, four million of these boats have been recalled after 30 infants have reportedly drowned. Aqua-Leisure had been fined nearly P30,000,000.00 (thirty million) when it was found that the company had been aware of this problem for at least six years and still put items for selling on the market.

Lawn Darts

This is a steel missile-looking dart with weighted skewers designed similar to horseshoes. Children however, found different ways to play with this product by purposely tossing it too high and too far out to play. This item had caused serious and fatal injuries, one of which had penetrated a child's skull.

Magnetix

In 2005, a 22-month old died after nine tiny magnets reattached in his bowels. Soon after, in relation to this product, the company received many complaints that were all life-threatening including a 10-year old boy who suffered intestinal injuries. This attractive building set that featured plastic pieces containing powerful magnets can easily be swallowed by young children. Magnets don't pass through the digestive system, it instead connects with each other through tissue walls, which can form large masses that can twist intestines and cut off blood supply to vital organs. This item had finally been recalled in 2008.

Mini Hammocks

What a incredibly cute thought to give your child, a mini hammock! Well, think again. This net-looking item can also be a twisting mess, which can injure young children. Twelve children have reportedly died due to strangulation.

(Helpful Resource: www.takejusticeback.com)

AQUA DOTS ASBESTOS DISEASE AWARENESS ORGANIZATION AUSTIN MAGIC PISTOL CABBAGE PATCH DOLLS CENTER CHILDREN EASY BAKE OVEN YOUNG
  • Latest
Latest
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with