_freeman
^

Second phase of Pier 4’s new port to take a year

Carlo S. Lorenciana (The Freeman) - May 8, 2016 - 10:00am

CEBU, Philippines - The phase two of the new port at Pier 4 in Cebu City will take a year, according to a Cebu Port Authority official.

CPA General Manager Edmund Tan said the phase one of the P400-million port is expected to be completed within this quarter – probably this month.

"[The port] It will be bigger and wide by more meters," Tan said.

The port, Tan said, will accommodate shipping vessels docking in Cebu amid the current need for more berthing spaces for sea vessels.

Tan cited that Cebu's ports are in need of more berthing spaces to accommodate more vessels.

"[It will add additional] berthing spaces," the official said.

The port's phase one started construction in September last year.

The port project is funded by CPA.

CPA had also proposed to build a new passenger terminal for fast crafts in Cebu City to decongest passenger traffic in sea ports.

Cebu's domestic port currently has three finger piers designed for conventional and Roll-on/Roll-off (RoRo) vessels.

It has two passenger terminals for inter-island trips and two ferry boat terminals for Cebu City-Mactan Island ferry boats.

Meanwhile, the new Cebu international container port may start construction by August this year if it gets the go signal soon from the National Economic and Development Authority Board, Tan earlier said.

Tan said NEDA is currently waiting for the submission of requisite documents for the said project from the Department of Transportation and Communications to facilitate its processing and approval. —(FREEMAN)

Philstar
  • Latest
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with