^

Nation

Jolina death toll hits 19; P1.2 billion agriculture damage

Michael Punongbayan, Catherine Talavera - The Philippine Star

MANILA, Philippines — The death toll due to Typhoon Jolina rose to 19 yesterday as search and rescue operations for five missing persons continued.

The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said only three deaths have so far been validated.

The three were fishermen whose boat capsized after it was hit by big waves off the coast of Buenavista in Marinduque.

The NDRRMC said 14 other persons were injured.

Damage to agriculture has reached P1.26 billion in Central Luzon, Mimaropa, Calabarzon, Western Visayas and Eastern Visayas.

The Department of Agriculture (DA)-DRRMC said 46,931 farmers and fishermen were affected.

”Affected commodities include rice, corn, high-value crops, livestock, fisheries and agri-facilities,” the DA said.

At least 27,052 hectares of affected agricultural land, with production loss of 45,448 metric tons were recorded.

Damage to infrastructure was initially estimated at P63.4 million.

The number of affected houses has reached 15,790, of which 600 were destroyed.

The NDRRMC said 2,958 families or 11,212 people remain in 181 evacuation centers.

Meanwhile, the DA said initial damage to agriculture due to Typhoon Kiko was pegged at P9.8 million as of Monday.

Rice accounted for 55.6 percent of the damage, with 657 hectares affected and total volume loss placed at 226 MT.

In Batanes, Gov. Marilou Cayco said 80 percent of residents in the province were affected by Kiko.

Cayco said the typhoon destroyed houses and crops, uprooted big trees and tore the roofs of schools and the provincial capitol.

Reports said nine people were injured.

Electricity has yet to be restored in Batanes’ six towns as of Monday due to toppled electric posts and damaged cable lines.

Several barangays in the island-province were isolated.

“As of the moment, people need wood, nails and other basic construction materials to repair their damaged houses,” Cayco said.

She requested the Office of Civil Defense to provide the province 5,000 cavans of rice. – Victor Martin

NDRRMC TYPHOON
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with