â2nd wave of COVID-19 cases in Baguioâ
Mayor Benjamin Magalong said the increase in the number of cases could be considered a “second wave”of virus transmission in the city.
The STAR/Artemio Dumlao, file
‘2nd wave of COVID-19 cases in Baguio’
Artemio Dumlao (The Philippine Star) - July 29, 2020 - 12:00am

BAGUIO CITY, Philippines — Stricter measures to curb the spread of the coronavirus disease 2019 or COVID-19 have been implemented in this city amid a surge in confirmed cases in the past few days.

Mayor Benjamin Magalong said the increase in the number of cases could be considered a “second wave”of virus transmission in the city.

The number of those infected hit 100, with two cases recorded yesterday.

Magalong said 13 barangays were placed on lockdown to pave the way for contract tracing and disinfection.

As of Sunday, 3,256 people remain on isolation while 17,969 suspected to have contracted the virus completed their home quarantine.

More than 20,000 underwent swab and 17,969 rapid anti-body testings.

Magalong said testing of 10 percent of the city’s population, which started earlier this month, is ongoing.

He ordered the implementation of stricter border control to ensure that only essential travel is allowed.

Magalong said the Sunday lockdown, including on the public market, liquor ban and intensified disinfection measures in all establishments should be strictly implemented.

ECQ in 2 Laguna villages

In Laguna, two barangays in Pakil town reverted to the strictest enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) yesterday after seven employees of the Pangil General Cailles District Hospital tested positive for the virus.

Mayor Vincent Soriano said ECQ protocols would be implemented in Barangays Poblacion and Kabulusan until Aug. 11 and Aug. 6, respectively.

Soriano said the infected employees were exposed to a 97-year-old patient who died while being treated in the hospital on July 21.

There are now 10 COVID-19 cases in Pakil.

Laguna has recorded the second highest number of confirmed cases in the country at 2,425 as of Monday.

Infected cops hit 2,037

Meanwhile, the Philippine National Police (PNP) recorded 29 cases on Monday, bringing the total to 2,037.

PNP data shows that seven of the new cases are from Central Visayas while Metro Manila and Calabarzon logged six each.

The Regional Special Training unit of Central Luzon recorded four while the crime laboratory, information technology management service, Special Action Force, Central Luzon and Davao regional police listed one each.

The PNP said it was monitoring 3,203 police officers who have manifested symptoms of the virus or interacted with COVID-19 patients.

Woman, 100, gets COVID-19

In Bulacan, a female centenarian from Marilao town is among the 46 new cases recorded in the province on Monday.

The provincial public health office said a 95-year-old woman from Baliwag also contracted the virus.

A 10-year-old girl from Bulakan town is the youngest patient.

There are now 1,140 cases in the province, 747 of them active cases.

A total of 347 recoveries and 46 fatalities were recorded.

Marilao has the highest number of confirmed cases at 66. Donya Remedios Trinidad has the lowest at six. – Ed Amoroso, Neil Jayson Servallos, Ramon Efren Lazaro

Related video:

BAGUIO CITY COVID-19
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with