The lockdown will be enforced as soon as Mayor Isko Moreno completes the distribution of food packs and financial assistance to the residents, according to Manila Police District director Brig. Gen. Rolando Miranda.
Philstar.com/Irish Lising/File
Sampaloc to be placed on 48-hour lockdown
Rey Galupo (The Philippine Star) - April 20, 2020 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — Manila’s Sampaloc district will be placed on total lockdown for 48 hours to curb the transmission of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), a police official confirmed yesterday.

The lockdown will be enforced as soon as Mayor Isko Moreno completes the distribution of food packs and financial assistance to the residents, according to Manila Police District director Brig. Gen. Rolando Miranda.

“We are ready to implement the mayor’s directive. Total lockdown means only health workers, uniformed personnel rendering emergency frontline services and police officers will be allowed to go in and out of the quarantine area,” Miranda told The STAR.

As of yesterday, there were 432 cases of COVID-19 in Manila with 47 deaths.

Sampaloc recorded the highest number of cases with 95 followed by Tondo with 41. Fifty-six people have recovered from the disease.

Of the 601 suspected COVID-19 cases in the city, the Manila health department said 145 are from Sampaloc.

“Some residents are taking COVID-19 for granted. So the local government believes a total lockdown is needed to stop the movement of people and prevent the spread of the virus. We will impose it as soon as the guidelines come out,” Miranda said.

Last month, Moreno shut down the Sampaloc Hospital after five doctors tested positive for the virus.

Moreno stopped the hospital’s operations to give way to the disinfection of the medical facility and allow the frontliners to recover after attending to patients, who could have transmitted the virus.

According to the city public information office, 14 doctors, eight nurses and seven administrative personnel of the hospital went on quarantine.

 On March 30, a lockdown was implemented in Trabajo Market along España Boulevard and adjacent streets after a meat vendor had tested positive for COVID-19.

Last week, Moreno placed Isla Puting Bato and Parola Compound in Barangay 20 on total lockdown for 24 hours after at least 100 residents were seen in a viral video gathering for an amateur boxing match along the street amid the enhanced community quarantine.

Moreno said they also received reports of bingo games held in the barangay that could exposed people to COVID-19 infection.

SAMPALOC TOTAL LOCKDOWN
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with