Mayor Joy Belmonte earlier expressed concern over the new protocol of the health department to send home PUIs for isolation or those exhibiting mild symptoms of the flu virus.
Boy Santos
COVID-19 PUIs moved to Quezon City hotel
Ghio Ong, Romina Cabrera, Neil Jayson Servallos (The Philippine Star) - March 24, 2020 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — The Quezon City government has transferred seven persons under investigation (PUIs) for coronavirus disease 2019 to a hotel tapped as a quarantine facility as hospitals in the city are crowded with patients found positive for COVID-19.

Of the 14 PUIs who were sent home by different hospitals, the city government said seven were moved to its Hope-1 facility. 

The remaining PUIs are still being tracked down by local officials.

As of yesterday, 65 cases of COVID-19 were recorded in Quezon City.

Mayor Joy Belmonte earlier expressed concern over the new protocol of the health department to send home PUIs for isolation or those exhibiting mild symptoms of the flu virus.

Mike Marasigan, head of the city’s Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office, said they are preparing the Quezon Memorial Circle basketball court as a temporary quarantine area. 

San Juan school eyed as COVID facility

In anticipation of the possible surge of COVID-19 cases in San Juan, the city government is eyeing to convert a public school into a facility for COVID patients, Mayor Francis Zamora said yesterday.

Zamora said hospitals in the city would run out of space should COVID-19 cases further increase in the coming days.

There are three hospitals in the city: San Juan Medical Center, St. Martin De Porres Charity Hospital and Cardinal Santos Medical Center.

As of yesterday, 42 cases of COVID-19 with four deaths were recorded in San Juan.

“It’s possible that the number of cases would go up because the test results are coming in while persons being monitored for the disease have not been tested,”Zamora told reporters.

The mayor said he would ask the Department of Education to allow the city government to use the Pinaglabanan Elementary School as a quarantine facility.

“We have no option, barangay halls are being used for relief operations and the city hall is packed with volunteers repacking goods,” Zamora said.

Displaced Pasig workers get aid

Workers, vendors as well as tricycle and jeepney drivers in Pasig affected by the enhanced community quarantine will receive financial assistance, Mayor Vico Sotto said.

The city government has prepared 400,000 food packs to be delivered to the residents.

There were 14 cases of COVID-19 in Pasig, Sotto said.    

Las Piñas extends tax payment deadline

Las Piñas Mayor Imelda Aguilar has extended the deadline for payment of business and real property taxes to provide relief to those affected by the enhanced community quarantine.

During a special session held last week, the city council led by Vice Mayor April Aguilar Nery moved the deadline for real property tax payment to May 15 and business taxes to May 20.

There are 13,000 business establishments in Las Piñas.

“No penalties and surcharges will be imposed on business and property owners during the extension period,” Aguilar said.

She urged employers to provide financial assistance to employees affected by COVID-19 pandemic.

Six cases of COVID-19 were recorded from Barangays BF International Village-CAA, Zapote, Pamplona 3 and Talon 4.

COVID-19 PUIS
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Recommended
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with