CHR to probe BuCor official’s slay
Janvic Mateo (The Philippine Star) - February 22, 2020 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — The Commission on Human Rights (CHR) will conduct its own investigation on the killing of suspended Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) legal chief Fredric Anthony Santos, an official said yesterday.

CHR spokesperson Jacqueline de Guia said they would coordinate with law enforcement agencies probing the death of Santos.

He was waiting in a vehicle for his daughter’s dismissal from school in Muntinlupa when motorcycle-riding assailants fired at him on Wednesday.

De Guia called on authorities to bring the perpetrators to justice and ensure that the incident would not happen to the other suspended officials of the BuCor.

Santos was among the 30 BuCor officers and personnel suspended by the ombudsman over the questionable release of convicts under the good conduct time allowance (GCTA) law.

During a Senate hearing in September last year, Santos admitted that there was corruption in the New Bilibid Prison regarding the implementation of the GCTA.

                 

CHR JACQUELINE DE GUIA
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Recommended
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with