Abra not cancelling festival due to COVID-19
Artemio Dumlao (The Philippine Star) - February 15, 2020 - 12:00am

BAGUIO CITY, Philippines –  Unfazed by the threat posed by the coronavirus disease-2019 (COVID-19), Abra will push through with the holding of the Kawayan Festival next month.

Gov. Ma. Jocelyn Bernos said there is no reason for them to cancel or suspend the festival after three of eight persons under investigation (PUIs) for the flu virus have been cleared by public health officials.

The festival will be held from March 5 to 10.

 A trade fair, street dance competition, parade of lights, beauty contest and fun run are among the activities lined up for the festival.

 Seven towns in Benguet and Kalinga had earlier imposed a lockdown on tourists as a precautionary measure against COVID-19. Several festivals were cancelled.

The Cordillera Administrative Region Athletic Association (CARAA) board said the regional sports competition to be held in this city was tentatively set from March 23 to 27. 

The CARAA board postponed the sports meet this month after Education Secretary Leonor Briones ordered the suspension of events that draw a huge number of learners and personnel.

The National Schools Press Conference, which was originally set from Feb. 9 to 13 in Tuguegarao City, was rescheduled to March 9 to 13.

In an advisory issued yesterday, Mayor Leopoldo Bataoil of Lingayen, Pangasinan suspended crowd-drawing events to prevent the spread of the flu virus.

Araw ng Davao de Oro cancelled

Davao de Oro Gov. Jayvee Tyron Uy cancelled activities to mark the 22nd Araw ng Davao de Oro on March 7 and 8 due to COVID-19.

Uy said the activities would be merged with the Bulawan Festival to be held in the last quarter of this year.

”As much as we want to proceed with the scheduled activities, we cannot risk your health, safety and well-being,” he said.

New PUIs

On persons under investigation (PUIs) for COVID-19, Apayao Gov. Eleanor Bulut-Begtang said a returning domestic worker from Hong Kong with flu symptoms was endorsed to the Cagayan Valley Medical Center.

A 47-year-old who recently traveled to Taiwan was confined at the James Gordon Memorial Hospital in Olongapo City.

Another PUI in Zambales, an overseas Filipino worker in Hong Kong, is being monitored at the President Ramon Magsaysay Memorial Hospital. The first PUI in the province tested negative for the acute respiratory disease.

In Cagayan, six of 10 PUIs were sent home after they were cleared by health authorities.

Rio Magpantay of the Department of Health-Cagayan Valley office said the region remains free of the acute respiratory disease.

In Isabela, a Chinese couple, who arrived from Beijing on Jan. 31 and ended their 14-day self-quarantine yesterday showed no syptoms of COVID-19.

Nelson Paquirigan of the Isabela health office said the couple refused to be placed on isolation upon their arrival despite appeals from local officials.

To strengthen information dissemination and prevent the spread of the flu virus, the Misamis Oriental provincial government activated its Barangay Health Emergency Team.

Isabela and Nueva Vizcaya also created their inter-agency task force against COVID-19. – With Raymund Catindig, Victor Martin, Gerry Lee Gorit, Eva Visperas, Cesar Ramirez, Bebot Sison, Edith Regalado

COVID-19 JOCELYN BERNOS PUIS
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with