NCRPO bans gambling during wakes
Emmanuel Tupas, Romina Cabrera, Neil Jayson Servallos (The Philippine Star) - February 11, 2020 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — All forms of gambling during wakes and fiesta celebrations are now prohibited in Metro Manila, the chief of the National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) announced yesterday.

NCRPO director Maj. Gen. Debold Sinas issued a directive banning gambling during wakes.

“Nag-issue ako ng directive na maski sa patay bawal,” he told reporters at Camp Bagong Diwa in Taguig City.

Sinas said he has informed  local chief executives about his order.

Funeral shops allegedly sell or rent out cadavers for use in fake wakes that serve as covers for a betting game called sakla.

Even some authentic wakes are used as opportunities to hold gambling sessions.

Sinas said police would initially warn relatives of the dead to stop gambling. If they will not follow, policemen will raid the wake.

“Ang guidance ko, pakiusapan muna, pagkatapos kung ayaw, saka i-raid. So they won’t say that we did not give consideration,” he said.

According to Sinas, gambling during fiestas in barangays such as cockfighting and color games are no longer allowed unless the organizers secure a permit from the Games and Amusements Board.

Policemen will not honor resolutions from the barangay councils authorizing these types of games, he said.

Philippine National Police chief Gen. Archie Francisco Gamboa has ordered police to intensify operations against illegal gambling and other crimes.

Maj. Fortunato Ecle, officer-in-charge of the Cubao police station, along with seven police community precinct commanders were relieved from their posts last week for failure to curb illegal gambling in their jurisdictions.

Quezon City police director Brig. Gen. Ronnie Montejo said they would continue to implement the one-strike policy on illegal gambling.

Crackdown on jueteng

Operators of the illegal numbers game jueteng would be the focus of the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG)’s crackdown on illegal gambling.

CIDG director Maj. Gen. Joel Coronel said he ordered all field units and operating divisions nationwide to boost the campaign against jueteng.

He said although much has been done by the government to stop jueteng, a game that has no bet limits, efforts have fallen due to its popularity.

Coronel said they have received reports that jueteng operations continued in areas where small town lottery games of the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office are not allowed.

“We support the no-take policy of the PNP chief on illegal gambling,” he said.   

GAMBLING
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with