In a 26-page decision issued yesterday, Olongapo City Regional Trial Court Branch 72 Judge Richard Paradeza convicted Edgardo Luib of murder.
STAR/File
Subic trader’s slay: Gunman gets life
Bebot Sison Jr., Evelyn Macairan (The Philippine Star) - November 21, 2019 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — A court in Olongapo City has sentenced to life in prison the self-confessed gunman in the killing of businessman Dominic Sytin at the Subic freeport last year.

In a 26-page decision issued yesterday, Olongapo City Regional Trial Court Branch 72 Judge Richard Paradeza convicted Edgardo Luib of murder.

Luib was also sentenced to six to 12 years in prison for frustrated murder after the gun attack left Sytin’s bodyguard-driver Efren Esparterowounded.

“Based on the testimony of Luib, the killing of Dominic Sytin was well-planned, hence the presence of evident premeditation... Luib agreed to the killing... because he was offered a reward or consideration,” the ruling read.

Luib, who was arrested in Batangas on March 5, executed an extrajudicial confession that he shot Dominic and identified the younger brother of the victim, Dennis, as the mastermind. He said he was promised P1 million to kill Dominic, but was paid only P50,000.

“The court finds no reason to doubt that the extrajudicial confession was made by Luib freely and voluntarily. The court finds no irregularity in the execution of the  extrajudicial confession,” the ruling added.

The family of Dominic has offered a reward of P4 million for information leading to the arrest of Dennis.

 Another P2 million was offered for the arrest of Oliver Fuentes, alias Ryan Rementilla, who allegedly plotted the killing with Dennis.

Dominic, founder and chief executive officer of United Auctioneers Inc. (UAI), was shot dead in front of the Light House Hotel on Nov. 28.

Probers said the killing could be connected with an alleged fight over control of shares of UAI, one of the biggest auction firms in the country.   

Lack of merit

Meanwhile, the court denied for lack of merit Dennis’ motion to quash his arrest warrant.

Paradeza said the court found existence of probable cause against Dennis when it issued the warrant on July 29.

On Dennis’ claim that his acts since the start of the investigation “negate any attempt to frustrate the ends of justice,” the court said the acts or demeanor of the accused was not considered when the arrest warrant was issued.

DOMINIC SYTIN GUNMAN SUBIC SLAY
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with