Anakalusugan party-list Rep. Mike Defensor said this was learned at the start of the inquiry into the disbursement of the P35-million bounty conducted by the House committee on public accounts, which he chairs.
Facebook/Rodel M. Batocabe
‘Suspects in Batocabe murder received bounty’
Delon Porcalla (The Philippine Star) - November 21, 2019 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — Three suspects in the killing of Ako Bicol party-list Rep. Rodel Batocabe were among those who received the reward offered for information leading to the arrest of the killers. 

Anakalusugan party-list Rep. Mike Defensor said this was learned at the start of the inquiry into the disbursement of the P35-million bounty conducted by the House committee on public accounts, which he chairs.

“Why did the alleged gunmen receive the reward?” Defensor asked. 

He said three suspects who tagged former Daraga mayor Carlwyn Baldo as the mastermind in the killing also recanted their testimonies.  

Defensor said the P35 million has been “fully accounted,” citing the testimony of Maj. Gen. Amador Corpus, director of the Philippine National Police’s Human Resource and Doctrine Development during an executive session. 

Defensor said retired Philippine National Police (PNP) chief  Oscar Albayalde would be invited at the next hearing.

A total of P20 million of the bounty came from President Duterte, P13 million from Batocabe’s colleagues at the House of Representatives and P2 million from the Albay provincial government.

Batocabe and his police escort Orlando Diaz were gunned down after a gift-giving event in Barangay Burgos in Daraga on Dec. 22 last year.         

ARREST KILLERS RODEL BATOCABE
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with