“Our IT experts managed to open mobile phones left behind by the rebels. They were exploiting these children through their social media accounts,” First Lt. Hazel Joy Durotan, 61st Infantry Battalion spokesperson said.
File
‘Reds recruit youth through social media’
Jennifer Rendon (The Philippine Star) - July 11, 2019 - 12:00am

ILOILO CITY, Philippines — New People’s Army (NPA) guerrillas continue to recruit children, which is a gross violation of the United Nations Children’s Fund’s Convention on the Rights of Children, according to a military official.

First Lt. Hazel Joy Durotan, 61st Infantry Battalion spokesperson, said they gathered evidence that NPA rebels who clashed with soldiers in Roxas, Capiz last week are recruiting children aged 10 to 14.

“Our IT experts managed to open mobile phones left behind by the rebels. They were exploiting these children through their social media accounts,” Durotan said.

“These minors appear to be in school but seemed to be adventurous. Gusto nang humawak ng baril,” she said.

A portable generator, a multi-media projector, two hand grenades, a landmine, eight rifle grenades, four backpacks, two mobile phones, a container of gasoline and two sacks of rice were among those recovered from the rebels. 

Durotan said the rebel group is led by a certain Guning and operating in the first district of Capiz and fifth district of Iloilo.

Aside from recruiting minors, the group of communist guerrillas are planning to attack government forces and installations, Capt. Cenon Pancito, 3rd Infantry Division spokesman, said.

NEW PEOPLE’S ARMY UNITED NATIONS CHILDREN’S FUND’S CONVENTION
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with