Quimbo, who was freed by the Abu Sayyaf in Patikul, Sulu last Sunday, told authorities that he had been held along with a Dutch national, a Vietnamese national and three Filipinos. 
Google Maps

Dutch man kidnapped in 2012 still in Abu Sayyaf hands, freed captive says
(Philstar.com) - January 3, 2019 - 2:43pm

ZAMBOANGA CITY, Philippines — A Dutch national who has been in the hands of the Abu Sayyaf since 2012 is still alive, a former captive who was freed last Sunday after being held by the bandit group for four months said.

Jelster Ed ‘Jed’ Tiu Quimbo, 28, who was freed by the Abu Sayyaf in Patikul, Sulu last Sunday, told authorities that he had been held along with a Dutch national, a Vietnamese national and three Filipinos. 

Quimbo was apparently referring to Ewold Horn, who was abducted along with fellow birdwatcher Lorenzo Vinciguerre in Panglima Sugala town, Tawi-Tawi. Vinciguerre, a Swiss national, was rescued by the military in Patikul in December 2014.

He described the other hostages to be in good condition.

Quimbo—son of Labason, Zamboanga del Norte Mayor Eddie Quimbo—told authorities the number of Abu Sayyaf members holding them decreased as military operations against the group continued.

"There was a time when the military conducted operation and dropped rounds of bombs, we were herded together by our captors for our safety," Quimbo disclosed.

While Quimbo confirmed having seen five other hostages, the military is verifying whether three Indonesians seized in Sabah waters and reportedly brought to Sulu are also being held by the group. — Roel Pareño

ABU SAYYAF GROUP EWOLD HORN
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with