DepEd Undersecretary for planning and field operations Jesus Mateo said classes at the Guinobatan West Central School, Binogsacan Elementary School, Libas Elementary School, Mauraro Elementary School and Malabog National High School would be extended until April 12. The official closing is on April 6. Philstar.com/File Photo

Classes in Albay public schools to be extended
Janvic Mateo (The Philippine Star) - March 18, 2018 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — Classes in at least five public schools in Albay will be extended by a week due to suspensions caused by the eruption of Mayon Volcano, according to the Department of Education.

DepEd Undersecretary for planning and field operations Jesus Mateo said classes at the Guinobatan West Central School, Binogsacan Elementary School, Libas Elementary School, Mauraro Elementary School and Malabog National High School would be extended until April 12. The official closing is on April 6.

The schools are within the six to nine-kilometer radius of the volcano.

“Emergency classes were held upon the lifting of suspension by local government heads in affected areas in Albay as early as Jan. 23,” DepEd said.

At least 53 schools with 905 classrooms in the province were used as evacuation centers by more than 58,000 people at the height of Mayon’s eruption.

DepEd said only 325 classrooms were available for the resumption of classes last month.

Cedric Daep, Albay public safety and emergency management office chief, said 1,641 families or more than 6,000 residents within the seven-kilometer extended danger zone remain in evacuation centers. – Cet Dematera

ALBAY CLASSES DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION JESUS MATEO MAYON VOLCANO
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Recommended
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with