5 Abus slain, 11 soldiers hurt in Sulu clash
Roel Pareño (The Philippine Star) - March 3, 2017 - 12:00am

ZAMBOANGA CITY – Five Abu Sayyaf bandits were killed and 11 soldiers were wounded in an encounter in the jungles of Sulu on Wednesday.

Capt. Jo-Ann Petinglay, spokesperson for the Western Mindanao Command, said soldiers belonging to the 2nd Scout Battalion clashed with the bandits in Barangay Bud Taran in Indanan town at around 5:15 p.m. 

Petinglay said the wounded soldiers were brought to a hospital at Camp Teodulfo Bautista in Jolo for treatment.

She said an undetermined number of bandits were also wounded in the gunfight.

Petinglay said there was no reported sighting of any kidnap victim during the encounter. 

The clash occurred as Joint Task Force Sulu led by Col. Cirilito Sobejana intensified its operations to rescue the remaining hostages of the Abu Sayyaf.

The bandits are still holding a Dutch man, a Korean, seven Indonesians, five Malaysians, six Vietnamese and five Filipinos. 

The military has yet to confirm reports the gunmen who attacked a Vietnamese cargo vessel off Tawi-Tawi and took six crewmembers last week were Abu Sayyaf bandits.

ABU SAYYAF
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Recommended
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with