Ex-rebels get financial aid
Ricky Bautista (The Philippine Star) - September 28, 2015 - 10:00am

CATBALOGAN CITY, Philippines  – Eleven former New People’s Army (NPA) guerrillas received financial assistance amounting to P715,000 from the provincial government of Eastern Samar, officials reported yesterday.

Each of the former rebels received checks worth P50,000, which they could use for their livelihood assistance, and additional P15,000 cash to help them start new lives in their communities, Eastern Samar Gov. Conrado Nicart Jr. said.

 The cash aid, which is part of the government’s comprehensive local integration program (CLIP), was turned over during a meeting of the provincial peace and order council on Thursday.

Major Gen. Jet Velarmino, chief of the Army’s 8th Infantry Division based in Catbalogan City, said the former rebels surrendered last week to the 14th Infantry Battalion.

The rebels underwent and passed an evaluation conducted by the Department of Social Welfare and Development for them to be included in the CLIP.

At least 13 local government units in Eastern Samar have been declared “insurgency-free” by the police and military. Among them were the towns of Maydolong, Balangkayan, Hernani, San Julian, San Policarpio and Sulat, Salcedo, Guiuan, Quinapondan and Borongan City.            

 

CATBALOGAN CATBALOGAN CITY CONRADO NICART JR. DEPARTMENT OF SOCIAL WELFARE AND DEVELOPMENT EASTERN SAMAR EASTERN SAMAR GOV INFANTRY BATTALION INFANTRY DIVISION JET VELARMINO MAJOR GEN NBSP NEW PEOPLE SAMAR (WESTERN)
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with