^

660 kilos of banned shellfish seized in Pangasinan

Eva Visperas (The Philippine Star) - January 6, 2015 - 12:00am

SUAL, Pangasinan, Philippines – Police here seized 660 kilos of shellfish, believed to be positive for red tide toxin, in Barangay Caoayan on Saturday.

Senior Inspector Leo Llamas, town police chief, told The STAR yesterday they intercepted a white Fuzo Canter van, which had no license plate, containing 11 sacks of green mussels, five sacks of batotoy and six sacks of kap-po.

The seized shellfish were buried in the grounds of  the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) in Alaminos City.

The van driver, Marlou de Guzman; his two companions, Alan Caasi and Larry Retorio; all residents of Barangay Luciente 1st in Bolinao, were turned over to the BFAR.

A shellfish ban is in effect in the coastal areas of Bolinao, Anda, Alaminos City and Wawa in Bani in Pangasinan, where the waters were found positive for red tide toxins. BFAR said all types of shellfish from these areas are not safe for human consumption.

One person died and more than 30 others were hospitalized in Bolinao after eating tahong (mussels) last month.            

 

ALAMINOS CITY ALAMINOS CITY AND WAWA ALAN CAASI AND LARRY RETORIO BARANGAY LUCIENTE BOLINAO BUREAU OF FISHERIES AND AQUATIC RESOURCES CAOAYAN FUZO CANTER GUZMAN SENIOR INSPECTOR LEO LLAMAS
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with