23 fishermen missing, 42 safe in wake of 'Labuyo'
Louis Bacani (The Philippine Star) - August 12, 2013 - 12:54pm

MANILA, Philippines - At least 23 fishermen were reported missing in two Luzon provinces as Typhoon "Labuyo" barreled through the island mass, the state disaster response agency reported Monday.

The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said in an update that a total of 51 fishermen were reported missing in Catanduanes.

Of this number, 42 have already returned home safely while nine remain missing.

A total of 14 fishermen were also reported missing in Camarines Norte.

The NDRRMC update showed that some of the fishermen set sail as early as August 10, a day before Typhoon Labuyo made landfall over Aurora.

In an earlier interview on ANC, NDRRMC Executive Director Eduardo del Rosario said the missing fishermen may have been already out at sea when the agency issued a no-sail warning in preparation for Labuyo.

Del Rosario said that so far, there are no reports of fatalities or injured in the provinces hit by the typhoon.

At 10 a.m., the eye of Typhoon Labuyo was located in the vicinity of Baguio City.

Related story: 'Labuyo' weakens; to exit PAR on Tuesday

BAGUIO CITY CAMARINES NORTE CATANDUANES DEL ROSARIO EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR EDUARDO FISHERMEN LABUYO LUZON MISSING NATIONAL DISASTER RISK REDUCTION AND MANAGEMENT COUNCIL TYPHOON LABUYO
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with