^

Nation

Kidnap gang leader falls

- Non Alquitran -

MANILA, Philippines - Police yesterday arrested the suspected leader of a kidnapping group which seized a businessman in Cavite in April last year.

Director Samuel Pagdilao Jr., chief of the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG), said the group of Rodel Ledesma was also behind the rash of robberies and hijackings in Cavite, Laguna and Las Piñas City.

Pagdilao said Ledesma and one of his henchmen, Gabriel Maligsa, alias Gabo, were arrested when his men served a search warrant for loose firearms at the gang leader’s house in Barangay 3, Bacoor, Cavite yesterday.

Ledesma and Maligsa yielded a caliber .45 automatic pistol, a caliber .32 pistol, a grenade, an electronic scale for illegal drugs, and five sachets of shabu.

A civilian volunteer led elements of the Laguna and Cavite CIDG headed by Senior Superintendent Bernabe Balba, chief of CIDG-Southern Tagalog, to Ledesma’s residence at around 5 a.m. yesterday.

While Ledesma was undergoing investigation at the CIDG office at Camp Vicen-te Lim in Calamba City, businessman Benjamin Jaro arrived and positively identified him as one of his kidnappers on April 1, 2011 in Cavite.

Jaro said the suspects demanded P30 million for his release and that he was freed after P5 million was paid.

Balba said Ledesma’s group is in the watch list of the Cavite CIDG for a robbery in Barangay Baco, Kawit town on Oct. 8, 2008.               – With Ed Amoroso

BARANGAY BACO

BENJAMIN JARO

CALAMBA CITY

CAMP VICEN

CAVITE

CRIMINAL INVESTIGATION AND DETECTION GROUP

DIRECTOR SAMUEL PAGDILAO JR.

GABRIEL MALIGSA

LAGUNA AND CAVITE

LEDESMA

  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Latest
abtest
Recommended
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

Get Updated:

Signup for the News Round now

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with