11 Davao political parties forge ‘united opposition’
() - November 7, 2000 - 12:00am
DAVAO CITY — Major political realignments have begun to shape up here as 11 political parties formed a united opposition to demand that President Estrada step down from office.

Representatives of the 11 political parties signed yesterday a statement of unity, stating, "The nation now needs nothing less than moral and competent leadership. President Estrada, for the good of our nation and our people, we beg you, resign now!"

However, Irene Santiago, of Aksyon Demokratiko, the vice presidential running mate of Sen. Raul Roco in the 1998 elections, said, "We are united in as far as the common objective of getting Mr. Estrada out of office. But we have not tackled any other political agenda, especially pertaining to the local elections next year."

Aside from Aksyon Demokratiko, the other political parties which joined the united opposition included Lakas-NUCD, Kampi, Abanse! Pinay, Lakas ng Dabaw, PDP Davao, Partido Demokratiko Sosyalista ng Pilipinas, Akbayan (Citizen’s Aksyon Party), Alyansa sa Katawhan sa Dabaw and the Reporma-Davao del Norte chapter.

Davao City Mayor Benjamin de Guzman, who heads Alyansa sa Katawhan sa Dabaw, and Vice Mayor Luis Bongayan, who belongs to Reporma, were among those who spearheaded the united opposition.

Former Rep. Prospero Nograles and former Interior and Local Government Secretary Luis Santos, of Lakas-NUCD and Kampi, respectively, also joined the coalition.

Nograles said the united opposition will meet with representatives of the Erap Resign Movement, a coalition of over 100 militant and non-government groups, to discuss the holding of joint massive protest actions to pressure Mr. Estrada to resign.

The movement earlier launched the so-called "Wednesday Habit," a march-rally to be staged every Wednesday until Mr. Estrada resigns.

Meanwhile, Davao City councilor Wendel Avisado, project manager of the Davao Integrated Development Program (DIDP), said the Department of Budget and Management (DBM) has refused to issue the notice of cash allocation for about P75 million in additional funds that the President ordered for DIDP projects.

The DBM also refused to issue the notice of cash allocation for the P71.4 million in irrigation funds intended for Davao farms. The President approved the funding during a meeting of the Mindanao Coordinating Council here last August.

The P75 million was actually part of the P100 million which Mr. Estrada earlier had promised for DIDP. Some P25 million was previously released and used to jump-start the projects.

In both instances, Avisado said the DBM claimed that funds were unavailable.

AKSYON DEMOKRATIKO AKSYON PARTY ALYANSA DABAW DABAW AND THE REPORMA-DAVAO DAVAO DAVAO CITY DAVAO CITY MAYOR BENJAMIN LAKAS MR. ESTRADA PRESIDENT ESTRADA
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with