SC junks plea vs election gun ban
Edu Punay (The Philippine Star) - February 2, 2016 - 9:00am

MANILA, Philippines – The Supreme Court (SC) yesterday junked a petition by a group of gun enthusiasts to stop the gun ban imposed by the Commission on Elections (Comelec) for the May 9 general elections.

In regular session yesterday, the high court dismissed the petition filed last month by members of Go Act, led by Eric Acosta, seeking the issuance of a status quo ante order enjoining the implementation of Comelec Resolution 10015, which prohibits private gun owners with valid permits to bring licensed firearms outside their homes.

“The court dismissed the petition on the ground that the Comelec did not gravely abuse its discretion in issuing the challenged Resolution 10015,” SC spokesman Theodore Te explained at a press briefing.

The petitioners argued that the gun ban violates the rights of licensed gun owners in the country.

They alleged that the election gun ban violates their constitutional right to equal protection of the law by providing exemptions, which they said is tantamount to “unwarranted special treatment” for some government officials.

The Comelec said that during the entire election period, which started on Jan. 10 and will end on June 8, the public will be barred from bearing, carrying, or transporting firearms or deadly weapons outside of their residence or place of business, and in all public places.

ACIRC BAN COMELEC COMELEC RESOLUTION COURT ERIC ACOSTA GO ACT GUN JAN SUPREME COURT THEODORE TE
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with