^

Escapee surrenders due to hunger, boredom

Ramil Bajo, Rey Galupo (The Philippine Star) - January 5, 2016 - 9:00am

MANILA, Philippines – A convicted murderer who escaped from a jail in Bacolod City surrendered to the Manila Police District (MPD) headquarters Monday afternoon after more than a decade of hiding from the law.

Napoleon Sabio, 29, said he turned himself in because he was hungry and bored most of the time and could not get even the most menial jobs.

Accompanied by his mother, Sabio, who had been residing in Bicutan, Taguig City, was ushered to the warrant section and processed after he admitted bolting the Handuman City Jail.

Sabio said he was convicted of murder in the early part of 2002 and escaped from the detention facility with other inmates in December that year.

He then hid in Manila and changed his name to John Paul Sabio.

He said he went to Taguig and lived with his relatives, who later drove him away.

Sabio said that behind bars, he would get three square meals a day and be safe because he is guarded day and night.

BACOLOD CITY BICUTAN CITY CONVICTED HANDUMAN CITY JAIL JOHN PAUL SABIO MANILA POLICE DISTRICT NAPOLEON SABIO SABIO TAGUIG TAGUIG CITY
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with