Couple die in Pasig fire
Non Alquitran (The Philippine Star) - December 7, 2015 - 9:00am

MANILA, Philippines - A sexagenarian couple died in a fire, believed to have been caused by a lighted candle left unattended, in Pasig City yesterday. 

Firefighters found the bodies of Boy Santos and his wife, Lourdes, both 68, in a tight embrace in the bedroom of their house at Rodriguez Compound on Dakila street.

Lourdes was sick and her husband was among those helping care for her, said Fire Officer 2 Jose Pura.

The fire started at the Santos house at past 1 a.m. yesterday. Jonjon Paroas, a relative of the couple said the heat roused him from sleep. He led his sister, mother and the children out of the house.

Paroas admitted he was the one who lit the candle in the couple’s room. He said their electricity was cut off recently and they have been using candles for several days prior to the fire.

However, other relatives of the couple blamed Paroas for the fire, claiming he was a drug user.

Paroas admitted taking illegal drugs months back but not recently. He said the fire was an accident.

It took firemen from Pasig City and nearby areas more than an hour to put out the blaze, which reached first alarm.

 

BOY SANTOS COUPLE DAKILA FIRE FIRE OFFICER HOUSE JONJON PAROAS JOSE PURA PAROAS PASIG CITY RODRIGUEZ COMPOUND
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with