^

Metro

'Ex-cop hiding key info in Vizconde massacre'

- Edu Punay -

MANILA, Philippines - There is more to the Vizconde massacre than former policeman Gerardo Biong is telling, a veteran Australian criminologist conducting a private investigation into the 20-year-old case said yesterday.

“Biong knows far more than he had revealed to date. Establishing the true and exact location as to where the remains were first located can lead to the discovery of further evidence – even to this very day,” Christian Faust told The STAR.

Faust said he interviewed last March 24 Biong, who was convicted as accessory to the crime after bungling the investigation by burning evidence at the crime scene. Biong was released in December last year after completing his sentence.

He said there were inconsistencies in the statement made by the now 60-year-old dismissed policeman that need further clarification and verification, specifically referring to Biong’s claim that he was offered a P1 million bribe and a house and lot by a certain Attorney Rivera.

“He (Biong) alleges this offer was made in order for the NBI to get corroborating evidence (or) testimony alongside to that of Jessica Alfaro’s pertaining to the alleged meeting after the killings, allegedly at the Webb residence,” Faust bared.

At first, Biong recalled that the offer was made sometime in July 1991. “When I questioned further about this allegation and subsequently pointed out to Biong that Alfaro did not come forward to give evidence until around 1995, he (Biong) became rattled and disturbed, at which time he changed the dates to events having taken place by Rivera to having taken place between June 23 and July 1, 1995… Biong was clearly untruthful about this allegation,” Faust remarked.

He also learned that Biong was at the crime scene twice: “The first, moving the bodies and taking pictures, and then he returned later as if to investigate.”

Faust supported the findings of a parallel probe conducted by Philippine National Police – Criminal Investigation and Detection Group based on testimony of Rhoda Pujanes, a former witness who was dropped to give way to Alfaro.

Faust said he received credible information saying Pujanes was “substituted by Alfaro” and that the NBI assisted her in applying for a visa in Australia. Pujanes had pointed to a certain Eduardo “Dong” Villadolid as alleged culprit in the massacre. She claimed to have seen a group led by Villadolid and his brother, Bing, near the residence of the Vizcondes in BF Homes, Parañaque City before and after the murder of Estrellita Vizconde and her daughters Carmela and Jennifer on June 30, 1991. There was, however, no other witness to support her claim.

Justice Secretary Leila de Lima, however, believes Dong Villadolid is the same person as Dong Ventura, one of the co-accused who fled to the United States following the massacre. Another accused, Joey Filart also fled to the US.

De Lima said they could still go after Filart and Ventura, as well as the Villadolid brothers, since the prescriptive period of 20 years for homicide does not apply to them because they were never arraigned in court. Faust believes that Villadolid was the boyfriend of Carmela.

ALFARO

ATTORNEY RIVERA

BIONG

CARMELA AND JENNIFER

CHRISTIAN FAUST

CRIMINAL INVESTIGATION AND DETECTION GROUP

DE LIMA

DONG VENTURA

DONG VILLADOLID

ESTRELLITA VIZCONDE

VILLADOLID

  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with