Taguig road dike project approved
() - March 6, 2002 - 12:00am
President Arroyo has ordered the resumption of the construction of the P2.9 billion road dike project in Taguig.

In a statement, the Taguig municipal government said that the project was approved for implementation in the next three months.

A series of consultation meetings among officials of the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH), Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA), the National Anti-Poverty Commission, local governments, and other government and non-government organizations paved the way for the resumption of the project, officials said.

The road dike is the solution to the perennial flooding problem in Taguig, Pateros and Pasig, said Taguig Mayor Sigfrido "Freddie" Tinga. It will also serve as a road network linking Rizal to South Superhighway.

President Arroyo had earlier ordered the suspension of the construction of the road dike after several concerned groups protested against its implementation.

Taguig-Pateros Rep. Alan Peter Cayetano opposed the original design of the 9.8 kilometer dike, saying some 1,300 hectares of land would turn into a wasteland.

In his statement, Tinga said the project will proceed following its original design. The road dike project is funded by the Japan Bank for International Cooperation (JBIC). Nikko Dizon

ALAN PETER CAYETANO DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC WORKS AND HIGHWAYS INTERNATIONAL COOPERATION JAPAN BANK METROPOLITAN MANILA DEVELOPMENT AUTHORITY NATIONAL ANTI-POVERTY COMMISSION NIKKO DIZON PATEROS AND PASIG PRESIDENT ARROYO SOUTH SUPERHIGHWAY TAGUIG
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with