^

Cebu News

Kidnap, carnap charges filed vs ex-cop, 4 others

Niña S. Abenoja and Mylen P. Manto - The Philippine Star

CEBU, Philippines - Criminal charges were filed yesterday morning before the Talisay City Prosecutor’s Office against a former member of the Cebu City’s SWAT and four other people accused of kidnapping an overseas worker on Sunday evening.

Around 11:00 in the morning, the agents of the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) lead by Atty. Jose Ermie Monsanto arrived at the Palace of Justice with the complainants and one of the five respondents, Ronilo Roble.

Roble, 47, a resident of Kalinaw 2, San Rafael, Talisay City, Cebu, was arrested on June 17 during a rescue operation of the NBI.

Upon inquest of Assistant City Prosecutor Jenelyn Forrosuelo, Roble waived his right to undergo preliminary investigation and instead manifested that he will face in court the charges for kidnapping for ransom and carnapping.

Other named respondents were Wane Tiano, who died in a gunfight with authorities; former policeman PO3 Lee Colina, who is at-large and supposedly masterminded the crime, and two John Does.

Colina, who used to work with the Cebu City’s Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) team, was identified as the leader of the kidnap-for-ransom group. Monsanto told the media that this was revealed after their follow-up investigation.

“It was confirmed that during the abduction and the pay-off, Colina was present,” he said.

On June 17, 2013, Minerva Laborada went to the NBI for a possible rescue operation of her common-law-husband Reneboy Agraviador, who was kidnapped on Sunday at 9:00 p.m.

Agraviador’s XRM motorcycle was also forcibly taken by the respondents.

Based on reports, while the victim was at the crossing of Rabaya Street, Talisay City together with his friend, five armed men onboard two motorcycles arrived and declared the kidnapping.

The respondents failed to abduct the friend of the victim because he resisted and because of the presence of his girlfriend and his mother.

The respondents reportedly called Laborada and demanded P50,000 as ransom for Agraviador’s release.

Minerva said she was about to go to a police station when she was advised to go to the NBI.

NBI-7 Regional Director Antonio Pagatpat said that after gathering complete details, he planned the rescue operation.

Laborada agreed to meet and have the pay off at the Evergreen Cemetery located at Barangay San Rafael, South Road Properties (SRP) in Talisay City where she gave the money to Tiano and Roble. Colina and two others were reportedly about 20 meters away and acted as back-up.

 â€œAfter Laborada handed over the ransom money and was already in a safe distance from the kidnappers, immediately agents of this bureau rushed up and blocked their motorcycle and announced its authority. Instead of surrendering, Tiano pulled out his gun and fired towards the operatives, hitting and injuring one,” read the document from NBI.

The agents fired back, hitting Tiano who was taken to the Cebu City Medical Center (CCMC) where he was declared dead on arrival.

The NBI agents arrested Roble while the three other respondents eluded arrest.

Recovered were P50,000 ransom money, mobile phones, .45 caliber with six live bullets, three empty shells of .45 caliber, AFP-PNP Badge, wallet with assorted cards, two black bonnets, helmet, bull cap, handkerchief and several identification cards.

Although they tagged the other respondents as John Does, Monsanto said the bureau is checking their real identity and whether they were connected with the government or mere private individuals.

Colina has actually been dropped from the rolls of the Cebu City Police Office (CCPO) since June 7, said CCPO director Mariano Natu-el, Jr.

Natu-el said Colina had been incurring absences without any official leave since April 12 at the Punta Princesa Police Station, prompting them to take the administrative action. Until now, Colina has not been accounted for, he said.

“Magsige og absent unya pirme sad ma-late sa trabaho. Gi-assign sad siya sa Convergy’s, wala ning-duty, so napugos ta og pa-investigate niya,” said Natu-el.

The notice has been forwarded to the Police Regional Office 7 on June 10, the CCPO director said, adding that they did not hear reports of Colina being engaged in any illegal activities. Early this year, though, they received information that he mauled his wife.

Supt. Arnel Banzon, chief of SWAT, said Colina was always late and absent so he was relieved of his post./JPM (FREEMAN)

AFTER LABORADA AGRAVIADOR ARNEL BANZON ASSISTANT CITY PROSECUTOR JENELYN FORROSUELO BARANGAY SAN RAFAEL CEBU CITY CITY COLINA JOHN DOES TALISAY CITY
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with