^

Police were warned of power tower attack

- Ryan Christopher J. Sorote (The Philippine Star) - July 3, 2012 - 12:00am

CEBU, Philippines - The Police Regional Office–7 admitted receiving reports that a tower of the National Grid Corporation of the Philippines would be bombed in Bohol a month before the actual attack happened.

Chief Supt. Marcelo Garbo Jr., Police Regional Office-7 director, said something went wrong in preventive measures in Bohol considering that they received a “very accurate” intelligence report a month before the incident.

The bombing occurred in Barangay Camanaga, San Miguel town, Bohol, last June 24.

“The information was very accurate. May lapses on the prevention aspect of the program because we received the report last May pa,” he said. 

Garbo, however, assured continuous coordinating with the other law enforcement agencies and the Armed Forces of the Philippines in intelligence exchange.

Investigators suspect the incident was perpetrated by communist insurgents who are trying to reestablish a presence in Bohol.

“They might be trying to regain what they have lost. This was really part of their plan,” Garbo said. Garbo said they are not discounting the possibility that similar attacks may also be planned for Cebu.

Aside from these attacks, Garbo said rebels are also using other deceptive strategies and methods to lure people to serve their cause.

Garbo has directed all police units in the region to further intensify intelligence and counter-insurgency operations as part of their preemptive efforts in coordination with other law enforcers.

Police likewise urged barangay officials to help guard NGCP towers in their respective areas and immediately alert authorities of suspicious activity.

This was the second time that a tower of the NGCP was bombed in Bohol. The first was last year in Barangay Sta. Catalina, Catigbian town.

Police a few kilometers away were alerted to the bombing by the actual explosion. The tower remained standing despite the blast.

Bohol Governor Edgar Chatto called for a meeting last week with Mayor Claudio Bonior, Bohol Police Office Provincial Director Constantino Barot Jr. and other officials to assess the incident.  (FREEMAN)

ARMED FORCES OF THE PHILIPPINES BARANGAY CAMANAGA BARANGAY STA BOHOL BOHOL GOVERNOR EDGAR CHATTO BOHOL POLICE OFFICE PROVINCIAL DIRECTOR CONSTANTINO BAROT JR. CHIEF SUPT MARCELO GARBO JR. MAYOR CLAUDIO BONIOR NATIONAL GRID CORPORATION OF THE PHILIPPINES POLICE REGIONAL OFFICE
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with