'Enough is enough': China attacks US at Security Council
China's ambassador to the United Nations, Zhang Jun, seen here in December 2019, has sharply criticized the United States over its criticism on the coronavirus.
AFP/Mandel Ngan
'Enough is enough': China attacks US at Security Council
(Agence France-Presse) - September 25, 2020 - 7:50am

UNITED NATIONS, United States — China on Thursday lashed out at the United States at a high-level UN meeting over its criticism on the coronavirus, with its envoy declaring, "Enough is enough!"

Two days after President Donald Trump used his annual address to the General Assembly to attack China, its ambassador to the United Nations, Zhang Jun, strongly criticized the US global role.

"I must say, enough is enough! You have created enough troubles for the world already," he told a Security Council meeting on global governance attended through videoconference by several heads of state.

"The US has nearly seven million confirmed cases and over 200,000 deaths by now. With the most advanced medical technologies and system in the world, why has the US turned out to have the most confirmed cases and fatalities?" he asked.

"If someone should be held accountable, it should be a few US politicians themselves."

Using a phrase often told by US leaders to China, Zhang said, "The US should understand that a major power should behave like a major power."

The United States, he said, "is completely isolated." 

"It's time to wake up," he said in remarks enthusiastically backed by his Russian counterpart.

The US ambassador to the United Nations, Kelly Craft, voiced anger at the tone of the session, which was presided over by Niger's president, Issoufou Mahamadou.

"You know, shame on each of you. I am astonished and I am disgusted by the content of today's discussion," Craft said.

"I am actually really quite ashamed of this Council -–members of the Council who took this opportunity to focus on political grudges rather than the critical issue at hand. My goodness."

Trump in his speech Tuesday had demanded action against China for spreading the "plague" of Covid-19.

China initially suppressed news of the respiratory disease when it emerged last year in Wuhan and initial advice played down the risks of transmission.

China's communist leaders have more recently tried to transform the narrative into one of success in stopping the virus.

Trump's response to the pandemic has emerged as a major political issue as he seeks a new term in November 3 elections.

CHINA NOVEL CORONAVIRUS UNITED NATIONS UNITED STATES
As It Happens
LATEST UPDATE: November 17, 2020 - 8:23am

The US decision to disinvite China from upcoming maritime exercises in the Pacific is "non-constructive," China's Foreign Affairs Minister Wang Yi says.

"We find that a very non-constructive move," Wang says at a press conference with Secretary of State Mike Pompeo after the two met in Washington.

"It's also a decision taken lightly and is unhelpful to mutual understanding between China and the US." — Agence France-Presse

November 17, 2020 - 8:23am

Chinese telecom giant Huawei announced Tuesday it has sold its Honor budget phone line to a domestic consortium, a move it said was necessary to keep the brand alive amid "tremendous" supply chain pressures caused by US sanctions. 

Honor has been purchased by a group of 40 companies comprised of agents, distributors and other businesses dependent on the brand's survival, Huawei and the consortium said in separate statements. — AFP

November 13, 2020 - 11:43am

US President Donald Trump signed an order Thursday that will ban Americans from investing in Chinese firms that could help Beijing's military and security apparatus.

The executive order said the Chinese government obliges private firms to support these activities and through capital markets "exploits United States investors to finance the development and modernization of its military."

The ban takes effect January 11, just days before Trump's presidency ends, and is the latest move in increasingly tense US relations with the Asian power.

Investors have until November 11, 2021 to divest any holdings in the banned companies, according to the order. — AFP

November 10, 2020 - 12:27pm

The United States has imposed sanctions on four more officials accused of curbing freedoms in Hong Kong, vowing accountability over China's clampdown in the city.

Edwina Lau, head of the National Security Division of the Hong Kong Police Force, was among the officials who will be barred from traveling to the United States and whose US-based assets, if any, will be frozen.

"These actions underscore US resolve to hold accountable key figures that are actively eviscerating the freedoms of the people of Hong Kong and undermining Hong Kong's autonomy," Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said in a statement Monday.

Other officials hit by the latest sanctions include Li Jiangzhou, deputy director of a Hong Kong office for "safeguarding national security."

The United States has already imposed similar sanctions on Hong Kong's top leader, Carrie Lam, who is an ally of Beijing.

Lam has tried to downplay the impact but acknowledged that she had trouble with a credit card after the sanctions. — AFP

October 23, 2020 - 3:49pm

Chinese President Xi Jinping on Friday warned of China's military resolve to defeat "invaders", speaking on a 70th anniversary for the Korean War, the only time Chinese forces have fought the United States.

In a long speech, heavy on patriotism and flecked by anecdotes of heroism by Chinese forces, Xi said victory in the 1950-53 conflict was a reminder that his nation stood ready to fight anyone "creating trouble... on China's doorstep".

Beijing frequently uses war anniversaries to fire thinly covered warnings to the US of the military strength of the "new China".

The Korean War is a key foundation story for the ruling Communist Party.

Friday's anniversary comes as the party is called out by US President Donald Trump, in a bitter row spanning trade, tech, human rights and the status of Taiwan, which China says is an inviolable part of the mainland. — AFP

October 15, 2020 - 12:15pm

A US warship sailed through the Taiwan Strait in what the American military described as a "routine" passage Wednesday, but enraging China, which claims sovereignty over the island and surrounding seas.

Ties between Beijing and Washington have deteriorated in recent months, over issues including trade and Hong Kong, with the self-ruled island of Taiwan a long-running source of tension.

The guided-missile destroyer USS Barry passed through the Strait on October 14, according to a statement by the US Pacific Fleet.

"The ship's transit through the Taiwan Strait demonstrates the US commitment to a free and open Indo-Pacific," the statement says. —

Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with