^

Freeman Region

Quake leaves Bohol P2.3B in damages Rescue ops, treatment of victims continue

Ric V. Obedencio - The Freeman

TAGBILARAN CITY, Philippines - Initial worth of overall damages of the magnitude 7.1 earthquake that hit Bohol last week is now pegged at P2.3 billion.

Governor Edgar Chatto, in a media briefing yesterday, issued this estimate initially as the various government agencies are still on the ground assessing the extent of the damages.

Chatto cited the data of the Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council (PDRRMC) stating that damage to infrastructure was estimated at P829 million, followed by P252 million in economic destruction and P160 million in social aspect.

The devastation of centuries-old churches in the towns of Loon, Maribojoc, Loboc and Dauis, among others, cost about P1.1 billion, based on the estimate of the cost for their reconstruction, although their aesthetic value is priceless, said the governor.

Chatto meanwhile announced the suspension of classes, of all levels in private and public schools, until Wednesday or probably extended to other dates, depending on how fast the inspection and assessment of engineers to determine the fitness of the buildings for the holding of classes. DepEd schools superintendent Wilfreda Bongalos confirmed the announcement of the governor.

A total of 357 public school buildings were wrecked, but 734 were spared. Of this number, a total of 956 classrooms are affected, said Bongalos who however did not give any estimate on the worth of damages.

Twenty-five evacuation centers in different town were set up by the DepEd for the affected residents due to the continuing aftershocks, which are expected to last for more than 30 days, according to PhiVolcs. The last aftershock, out of 2,204 since the earthquake occurred at 5 a.m. last Oct. 21, said Chatto.

Meanwhile, in Loon town of Bohol, rescue operations and treatment of victims of the quake continued, as of presstime. Thirteen of the 60 patients of the wrecked Cong. Natalio Castillo Memorial Hospital (CNCMH) in this town, who needed surgery, were transported to other hospitals in the city, said the Provincial Health Office.

The transfer of the patients was considered by PHO and the Department of Health as top priority because the national highway traversing this town was cut off due to the collapse of two bridges, one in Abatan River going to Tagbilaran City and the other, Moalong bridge going to the north side of Bohol.

In a text message to The Freeman, CNCMH chief, Dr. Jude dela Serna, said all patients are now "OK" without further elaboration.

In Maribojoc town, about 14 kilometers from Tagbilaran, patients of the Municipal Hospital that was damaged were literally trapped due to collapsed bridges, forcing them to wait for rescue units to bring them to other hospitals for treatment.

The PHO and DOH have organized clusters of health and medical volunteers and immediately dispatched and stationed them in Maribojoc and Loon, deemed "isolated" towns after the earthquake. (FREEMAN)

 

ABATAN RIVER

BOHOL

CHATTO

DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH

DR. JUDE

GOVERNOR EDGAR CHATTO

IN MARIBOJOC

LOBOC AND DAUIS

MARIBOJOC AND LOON

MUNICIPAL HOSPITAL

NATALIO CASTILLO MEMORIAL HOSPITAL

  • Latest
Latest
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with