Cebu News

More residents benefiting from electrification program

Caecent No-ot Magsumbol - The Freeman

CEBU, Philippines — Cebu City’s Department of Welfare of Urban Poor (DWUP) is set to review qualifications and requirements for the city’s low-cost electrical connection in order for more families to benefit from it.

Mark Lester Ceballos, DWUP executive director, said he plans to review the Let There Be Light program in order to help poor families have their own electrical connections, as well as those who lost their homes due to calamities.

“Dili ra diay pud ang atong giatiman katong wala pa masug-i kung dili hasta pud diay tong naapektaran sa sunog, baha ug katong mga naputlan sa ilang electrical connections,” Ceballos said thru the city’s RMN Sugboanon channel.

Aside from reblocking purposes, DWUP has deployed personnel to fire-hit areas to help assist residents in facilitating their applications to the program.

Also, DWUP is assisting informal settlers in getting their electrical supply reconnected.

However, Ralph Sayson, DWUP’s “Let There Be Light” program utility lead, reminded informal settlers to comply with the qualifications and requirements in order to avail of the benefit.

To qualify for the program, the applicant must be a Filipino resident, head of the family, underprivileged or homeless citizen and does not have existing properties and not be a ‘professional squatter.’

Applicants need to secure a certified true copy of land tax accreditation from the City Assessor’s Office, certification from DWUP that will be required for the issuance of the land tax accreditation, three pictures of the applicant’s house, affidavit of house ownership, and a certification from the homeowners’ association president.

If not a member of a homeowner’s association, applicants must secure an undertaking with DWUP.

Aside from that, applicants also need a valid ID, preferably voter’s ID; certification from the barangay where the applicant’s house is located; community tax certificate or cedula; photocopy of birth certificate if single or marriage contract, if married; and consent from the lot owner if the property where the applicant’s house is located is not his or hers. Forms from the Office of the Building Official and a detailed sketch of the house’s location is also needed.

If the lot owner is not present, a Special Power of Attorney from the lot owner’s representative is needed.

DWUP also expects more households to apply for the city’s low-cost electrification program in the coming months.

From January to April of this year, there are already close to 679 less fortunate households that have availed of the City’s Let There be Light program. (CEBU NEWS)

vuukle comment


  • Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

Get Updated:

Signup for the News Round now

or sign in with