Cebu News

6 persons  missing’  but no  complaint from kin yet

Romeo D. Marantal - The Freeman

CEBU, Philippines —  Police are investigating the case of six people who have been reported missing after allegedly checking in at a motel in Barangay Talamban, Cebu City way back in September.

The Talamban police are asking the families of the six persons to coordinate with them as part of investigation and for the faster resolution of the case.

Police Major Alvin Llamedo, Talamban police chief, said on Monday, December 5, 2022, that they had initiated an investigation right after receiving a complaint from one of the staff of Senator Raffy Tulfo.

However, Llamedo said one of the victim's family, the one who sought Tulfo's assistance, had not showed up to their office yet.

Llamedo said it would be best if the families would come to their office and file a formal complaint so they could launch a full-blown investigation with other police units in Central Visayas.

On September 10, eight individuals who were said to be from Ozamiz City in Mindanao checked in at a motel in Talamban to accompany a supposed patient who was scheduled to undergo surgery.

But the following day, two of their companions checked out.

However, on September 26, a group of armed people who reportedly identified themselves as "policemen" were said to have barged inside their room and forced the victims to board into a white van.

They were later identified as Jessica Piang, Mary Cris Ello, Marvin Carballo, Sheila Mae Duhaylungsod, and two others are only known by their nicknames, Sitay and Buyong.

Llamedo said the management of the motel only reported the matter to their station on September 28, or two days after the incident.

"Ang naghatag sa report regarding sa missing persons ang manager sa motel after the incident sa September 26. Missing persons lang kay according to him, alleged police operation daw," said Llamedo.

Llamedo denied that they had police operations on that day and believed that the suspects used the name of their agency again to confuse them.

The event was also not recorded because the CCTV cameras within the establishment were not functioning, said Llamedo.

Following what happened, Police Colonel Ireneo Dalogdog, chief of the Cebu City Police Office, ordered Llamedo to launch an ocular inspection in the area to find out if there is any piece of evidence that can be obtained, including CCTV footage from nearby establishments.

They would also look into the personal backgrounds of the victims. – Robhe Jane C. Yara, JMD (FREEMAN)


  • Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

or sign in with