^

No rites for 76th Talisay Landing amid COVID-19

Caecent No-ot Magsumbol (The Freeman) - March 27, 2021 - 12:00am

CEBU, Philippines —  The Talisay City government opted to forego activities for the 76th anniversary of Talisay Landing yesterday as the country is still grappling with the COVID-19 pandemic.

Locally called the “Takas sa Talisay,” the landing is celebrated every year with a reenactment of some of the scenes in history.

Yesterday, however, no activities took place to commemorate the 1945 Talisay Landing of the American forces that paved the way for the liberation of Cebu and the Philippines from the Japanese occupation.

Landing recognizes the historical importance of the event and the heroism of all those who resisted the rule of Japanese forces in Cebu.

Although there was no ceremony, the city government still declared yesterday as a special non-working holiday to celebrate such a historic event.

Last year, the city marked the 75th anniversary with a Mass and flower offering at the landing site off the shores in Barangay Poblacion.

As of its latest monitoring, Talisay still has 122 active cases, including five from Barangay Poblacion.

Mikkie Aznar, City Tourism Office head, said it was best to cancel all Landing activities as participants, the war veterans who are seniors, are at high risk of contracting the virus.

Based on the Inter-Agency Task Force (IATF) for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-EID) guidelines, seniors aged 65 and above should follow the stay-at-home policy as they are the most vulnerable groups.

Aside from the risk, Aznar said, the park and plaza are also undergoing some renovation works.

The beautification project around the area is part of Mayor Gerald Anthony “Samsam” Gullas’ eight-point agenda.

The park and boardwalk are expected to help promote the city’s famous lechon and serve as a food court to tourists.

Gullas, for his part, utilized the day in launching another discipline zone in Cansojong/San Roque market.

Gullas, in his Facebook post, said after seeing that the so-called discipline zones in Poblacion and Tabunok markets worked well, they continue putting up another zone for curfew and health protocols violators.

“While your city government is doing its best to keep the peach, we cannot do it alone. We also need the cooperation of the community in ensuring that we make our barangay/purok peaceful and healthy to live in. Let us be one in making these discipline zones a success,” he said.

Aside from that, there was also a clean-up drive done by 326 recovering drug dependents under the Talisay City Outpatient Rehab and Aftercare Program. — Gabriel Bonjoc, KQD (FREEMAN)

COVID-19
Philstar
  • Latest
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with